Friday, September 26, 2008

Chicken makkhan..... and an Award!

Chicken, as many of you might know, I make quite often. So, this time I started with a whim, I felt like using fenugreek and then slowly the dish took its form in my mind until I knew I was going to make chicken makkhan, also called butter chicken in English.
Since I have made this dish a couple of times I really don't need a recipe book, but still I went through many different versions online, to make sure I was going to make it as true to its name, but at the end it has to be MY recipe, isn't it?
Since I was in the mood of fenugreek leaves, I didn't hesitate to add a nice portion of it into the dish, and it tasted delicious. Usually I also add some heavy cream, but this time I didn't have any (purposefully! need I explain why? the name itself says it all: HEAVY cream). I have found that even though I plan to add a little bit of butter and only a little bit of cream, ultimately things get out of hand, and though the dish turns our good, but you are worried about those calories. But then to do justice to this dish , the name of this dish, I had to make sure to add enough butter, not that i wouldn't have done it otherwise. And as you see I just couldn't resist adding some chopped carrots either. It does the dish full justice.

For the recipe, read on...

Ingredients:

400 g chicken fillet (boneless and skin less), washed, pat dried and cubed

Marinade:
mix together
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red chili powder
2 tsp coriander seeds, ground
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1 tsp oil

Onion paste:
1 inch ginger, peeled and chopped coarsely
1 garlic, chopped coarsely
1 onion, chopped coarsely

whole spices:
1 tsp cumin
10 peppercorns
2 bay leaves
2 star anis
1 two inch piece of cinnamon

3 tomatoes, pureed
2 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
1 large carrot, chopped
2 heaped tablespoons, ground almonds
2 heaped tbsp cold butter
1 tbsp oil
salt, to taste

Method:
  • Marinate chicken pieces for 15 to 30 minutes with the spices in the refrigerator covered, or until required
  • Prepare the onion paste by grinding the ingredients together in a blender
  • heat oil in a saute pan, fry the chicken on medium to high heat and take out and set aside
  • roast the whole spices in 1 tbsp butter
  • add the onion paste and 1 more tbsp butter and fry on medium heat till golden brown
  • add carrots fry for short and then add the tomato puree and some salt, cook till it thickens
  • add the ground almonds and fenugreek leaves
  • return the chicken into the sauce
  • cook further till done, adjust salt to taste
  • take out the whole cinnamon, bay leaves and star anise, if desired
  • serve warm with plain basmati rice or rotis (indian bread)
This was a total pleasure to have made this dish, which we all enjoyed eating equally well. The flavours of the wonderful spices each of which blended together in this dish to give it a wonderful, harmonious and rich taste. The best way to eat it is either with hot Indian rotis or simply with plain basmati rice which compliment its flavours wonderfully.

This recipe goes to the Event Think Spice, think Fenugreek at Kittens in the Kitchen.

And, it also goes to Srilekha's Event "Chicken" taking place this month and the following month of Oktober.

******************************************************

Now, about something very very special. Something which has made me so very happy. I have got this award from the lovely and smart Aparna Inguva of Three Mangoes. This is my very first at this blog, which has grown from a my simple effort to just collect my tried and tested recipes to a new passion. Thank you so much Aparna!
I would like to pass on this award to :

Aparna of Sumi's weblog
Ivy of Kopiaste
Sunshine mom of Tongueticklers
RC of Redchillies
Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen

If I could I would make an "Excellent " out of it.
Gals, you deserve it!


9 comments:

Sunshinemom said...

Hey, PG!! Am glad you noticed the change - I have been playing with blogger during the night, and was on a discovery mission:)

Congrats on the award and thanks for the making it excellent and for thinking of me:)

Ivy said...

Hi PG. Thanks for the Award and wish I could pass it back to you as you do a Great Job as well. Your chicken sounds great. I love all the ingredients. The only ingredients I have not cooked with is fenugreek and fresh ginger.

kittie said...

Hey PJ! I'm glad you found out about Think Spice - I love your take on Chicken makkhan :)

Lovely blog too - I'm glad to have found it!

aparna said...

Thanks PG. I can't express how much happy iam. Your chicken looks so yummy. I will try your chicken soon.

Aparna Inguva said...

PG... you deserve all that and more! Good thinking on making it excellent.
Have a lovely weekend

Aparna said...

One more Aparna here.:)
Congratulations, PG.
Thanks so much for thinking of my blog for the award and all those nice words.

PG said...

Thank you all for your wishes!

~nm said...

Congratulations!! This is super duper great!!

PG said...

Thanks NM! :)