Monday, March 16, 2009

Roasted bell peppers salad

A German friend of mine is an "India"-freak, if I may say so. She is a vegetarian, loves Indian food (she had lived in England for a year), and has fullfilled her dream of seeing India on a trip with me and wishes to go again. Last year she even tried a class called "Bollywood dancing" with another colleague of hers. The first time I heard about it I had to laugh. Though I did not want to be mean to her tried to resist it not to make fun of it. But, with time I realised that I am the one not up to date, as it looks like, it is a serious business now. I was recently reading in the online New York Times an article and my eyes fell on this article heading in the sidebar on Bollywood Excersise (note: not Hollywood, just in case you didn't know about it) in Health blog column "Well" at NYT.
Bollywood is big in coming here, so much so that they now show Indian movies, as always translated in German, on German TV channels like RTL. And I have heard from a French friend of mine who is now living there, that there also they get to see these translated movies on TV. And from what I know they produce Bollywood films now keeping the 'global' viewers in mind with the third generation of 'Indians' growing up outside India and globalisation showing its impacts on Indian culture as well.

Now coming back to the lovely roasted bell peppers. I had been wanting to eat them like this since a while until I finally took out the book and checked the ingredients, got some nice fresh bell peppers and the anchovies in salt and brine I required for it and got going that very day.

Roasted mediterranian bell peppers

Recipe by PG of My Kitchen Stories

Based on a recipe from the book Le Cordon Bleu 'Vegetables'

Ingredients:
1 red belll pepper, washed, cleaned, stem and seeds removed, and cut into stips lengthwise
1 yellow bell pepper, (same as above)
1 green bell pepper,
(same as above) - I substituted it with red bell peppers
1 red onion, halved vertically and then thinly sliced
olive oil to brush on bell peppers while roasting/grilling
2-3 tbsp capers, optionally with a few tsp of the brine (if using capers in salt, soak in warm water and use the water)
4-5 anchovies, finely chopped
3 -4 tbsp fresh basil leaves, washed and chiffonaded
2-3 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
1 garlic, finely chopped
5 tbsp olive oil (EVOO)
1-2 tsp lemon juice, as per taste


fresh green lettuce leaves like Roma
some Italian bread (like Ciabatta), sliced

Method:
  • wash the salad leaves and set aside
  • Clean and cut the peppers into 6-8 long strips each and brush the skin with olive oil
  • spread the sliced onions in a small flat baking dish
  • place the bell peppers on a baking try with the cut skin showing upwards along with the onion and grill in a preheated oven for 20 minutes till the skin gets charred and the peppers have turned soft
  • set the onion aside to cool down
  • place the bell peppers in a freezer bag, close it for a few minutes till the peppers cool down a bit
  • remove the peppers from the bag and peel the skin
  • In the mean time chop anchovies, herbs, capers and garlic and mix with the olive oil and lemon juice
  • add the peeled bell peppers along with the onions to it and refrigerate for a few hours to let them take up flavour
  • serve with some Italian bread slices and fresh salad leaves
NOTE: I for got to add the onion while taking the first picture, but you see it in the next one, which i just about remembered to take. :)

In addition to the salad and the bread I had also boiled some potatoes and to make them a little more flavourful I mashed the potatoes and fried a small onion in 1 tbsp olive oil in a fry pan till golden and added the potatoes on top of it and pressed it down and cooked for another two minutes to have a 'sort of' rösti.
We all enjoyed our meal fully. I had put a bit too much of olive oil at the very end before serving. But, no one of us minded that. :D I think I'll have to do some dieting soon, I've been eating so uncontrolled lately :I
Recently we got to know of sunny boy's allergies, right now we know that he is allergic, though mildly, to wheat, rye and spelt. Haven't tested it with other things like barley and he seems to be doing fime with oats, though I'm not 100% sure. The doctor says the important thing is to see how his body reacts to the food than the tests. But since we don't use barley as such much I don't care. Luckily he is only mildly allergic and we can live with it. Luckily his Kindergarten can offer gluten free food so I don't need to worry in that regard.
So, I always have to have an option for sunny boy which he can eat. Here it was potatoes, or we would have simply eaten bread, toasted or plain withthe peppers.

17 comments:

Priya said...

Salad looks colourful n delicious, Glad to know sunnyboy is better n mildly allergic..

Superchef said...

the peppers look soo colourful in the salad! interesting recipe! :)

Cynthia said...

See how the world is shrinking?

Soma said...

What a lovely salad. I can eat it all.. my favs. in it.. pepper, caper & olive oil!

A_and_N said...

Sorry to hear about sunny boy's allergy. Although it is mild, I am curious as to whether these allergies will reduce/disappear with time?
The salad looks delish b.t.w :)

A.

Curry Leaf said...

I love roasted bell peppers and this is a must try salad.Hope your son is okay by now.Some allergies do disappear when they grow up and build enough resistance.Bollywood has now become global.

Katie said...

I love the bright colors and flavors! Yum.

PG said...

Thank you all for your comments!
About sunny boy's allergies I also hope and assume that they will vanish after some time. But, right now we are trying toreduce it whereever possible, especially becuase it has helped reduce his skin problems.

Asha said...

Some are like that! They know more about India than us sometimes. It's great to know people like that though, instead of some who think every Indian food is "SPICY!" :D

Colorful roasted peppers looks so delicious, good one PG! :)

Ivy said...

I also love roasted bell peppers and I have all the ingredients to make this salad.

Jude said...

I can only imagine how great this must be with crusty bread. How colorful!

Usha said...

The salad looks so colorful and inviting !

bee said...

what a colourful salad!!! lovely pic.

n33ma said...

I really like ppl who show interest in our culture/food everything...
colorful salad!

anudivya said...

Where have you been PG? Long time no see.

aparna said...

Hi PG, Where are you? We miss your delicious recipes. Come back soon.

Nithya said...

Looks absolutely interesting and colorful. Sure it would taste heavenly. will be trying it out soon.

First time to your blog and its really a nice place that you have created. keep it going. Will be here often from now on.

Do take a look at my blogs when you find time.