Thursday, August 20, 2009

Home grown for my mom's birthday!

a herbal bouquet from my garden

This tuesday was my mom's birthday. I usually cook something nice to make that day special, a wonderful cook as she was. I knew I was going to make something light this time as all our stomachs needed a break from eating too much as we had invited friends for a barbecue on the weekend and like always I had prepared too much and we were left with enough for the next day as well. But until her birthday I really didn't now what. Then, it so happened that I went with sunnyboy to have a look at our kitchen garden in the afternoon and realised that we could make something nice with the potatoes waiting to be digged out, as my mom would have been so proud of me - of my first potatoes.
Both of us got our gloves, sunny boy has got his from his aunt who keeps buying all kinds of fancy things for him everytime she comes. It was uttermost pleasure for both of us to take them out of the earth and collect them in our bowl. Every time sunnyboy found one, he would scream with excitement "here's one more!...". We just dug out one plant for this and we still have nine. Yipeeeeee!
I couldn't believe that planting them so spontaneously end of March (or was it April?!....don't remember, need to note it down next time) actually gave results. I had planted an early potato variety and they came through without any diseases. I think they will be the only ones in my garden without any diseases this year, as I found signs of tomato blight on a couple of my still green tomatoes today. I removed those I found. My zucchini, just like my Hokaido pumpkin, are suffering from mildew now. Luckily we have had enough Zucchinis and so far they don't seem to be minding the mildew on the leaves. But the pumpkins on the plant seem to have stopped growing and no new ones are comig either. I'll have maybe five pumpkins this year of which only three would be the normal good size. I think for a pumpkin it seems too little. But the mildew is getting stronger and stronger even though I have already sprayed a lot of baking powder on the leaves. Initially it seemd to help a lot but not anymore and I don't wish to use any chemicals.
But hubby says five is not bad from a plant, more than enough for us. Well, he's right that way!

So, coming back to the potatoes. I washed them and scrubbed them clean. I didn't need to peal them as the skin looked so fresh and thin. I prepared them along with the zucchini from our kitchen garden. And we ate them along with a simple daal, rice and an avocado guacamole made with cucumber instead of the onion in it usually.

Sukhi Aaloo ki sabzi (Potatoes sauteed with veggies)
Recipe by PG of My Kitchen Stories

Ingredients:
6 -8 small early potatoes, skin scrubbed clean and cubed
1/2 zucchini (or 1 small), cubed
3 spring onions, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into squares
1 tsp cumin
1 pinch asafoetida, crushed
1 pinch coarsely ground fenugreek seeds
1 tbsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp Pav Bhaji masala (Everest) or any other curry powder of choice
red chilli powder to taste
salt to taste
rapeseed oil


Method:
  • heat oil in a saute pan and add cumin and asafoetida to splutter, stir and add the potatoes immediately.
  • cook on medium heat covered, keep stirring in between
  • after about 10 minutes add spring onion, ground coriander and red chili powder stir and cook further
  • add salt in between and stir. Once done, take out and set aside covered to keep warm
  • add little or no oil as per choice in the pan and stir fry zucchini and red pepper on medium high heat till they get a golden brown colour and cooked through but still firm to the bite
  • add salt and put back the potatoes into the pan and cook further for no more than a minute (if using an electric or ceramic cooktop, switch of heat and leave on the cooktop)
  • serve warm with rice, roti or any kind of bread. We ate it with daal, steamed basmati rice and guacamole made with cucumber instead of onion.
  • Bon Appétit!

12 comments:

Nana said...

Dear Preeti,

You have done a wonderful job in growing such nice vegetables and the pics of cooked dishes is so tempting. I hope to get to have some of it when I come there.

'papa'

Lakshmi Venkatesh said...

I also enjoy growing vegetables in my garden. Gives lots of happiness to see them growing. I am also trying to grow potatoes now. This is the 1st time I am trying potatoes.

By the way A.W.E.D German is going on in my blog. Please do participate.
http://delightsofcooking.blogspot.com/2009/08/awed-german-event-announcement_01.html

Ruchika said...

Not only are you becomine a great chef, but also an expert photographer! Loved the photos of the bouquet and the previous ones of radishes.

~nm said...

What lovely flowers!! And even more tempting subzi!! I'm so looking forward to some dishes prepared by you when I'm over!!

PG said...

Thank you family! :)
Lakshmi, isn't it such a pleasure, it was my first trial too. Didn't realise it could get that easy, though. Will try to take part in the event.

DEESHA said...

wow thatz one tempting dish

DEESHA said...

wow thatz one tempting dish

A_and_N said...

You are such a potato geek ;) Easy-peasy! Lovely colour!

n33ma said...

Looks very delicious and colorful

Neha said...

Woow its so nice that you grow your own fresh veggies and lovely flowers tooo...
Superb click and a lovely blog...

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Erica said...

What a delicious vegetable dish!