Sunday, April 27, 2008

Coconut pudding with fruit topping


This recipe is a pure experiment and is still developing. This was my first and very spontaneous trial today with coconut, as I had a strong urge to make something with coconut, not a मिठाई but something to eat wih a spoon.
I had a flavour in my mind. I don't remember from where and from when, but it was too faint for me to be sure of its ingredients and i really had to think hard to figure out what I wanted and how it should taste. But the worst part was that I did not have all the ingredients and I had to improvise.
So, here it is:

Coconut pudding with fruit topping
Mix in the following order in a sauce pan and cook:
1 cup
evaporated milk (10% fat)
1 cup sugar
1 can of coconut milk (2-3 cups)
2 tbsp coconut grated (fresh or dessicated)
2-3
cups milk, first add only 2 cups and if required the third one
1 cup durum wheat semolina (Hartweizengries)
Cook while stirring and for one minute after bubbles appear on surface.
If neede add more milk.
Then add:
2 tbsp cornflour / starch flour
Cook further till bubbles appear again. Keep stirring.
Pour in a ceramic baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 200 °C (180 °C Convection oven)
Another option could be to use an idli mould and do the same in a pressure cooker.

Garnish: Before putting the dish in the oven, I put a layer of red currents from the freezer, which I had collected from the plants in my garden. I forgot to add powdered sugar at the end.
In my opinion the combination did not go so well. Next time I would rather take dried fruits or cooked apples or something more sweet. These fruits were too sour to go well with coconut pudding. Since I did not have fresh coconut, it made the flavour of coconut too mild. It did not really come as near to the flavour in my mind. If only I knew what it was. My efforts to find something online didn't bring any good results.


No comments: