Monday, August 18, 2008

When hubby cooks.....

....spaghetti with tomato sauce!
I had an appointment with the doctor for my son. It was late in the afternoon. Since hubby came home earlier than us, he started cooking his favorite dish which he is of the opinion nobody can cook better!
Since I don't exactly know the proportions, I 'll write down all that I could figure out while sneaking from behind and partly because he asked me for the ingredients ;-) !
Ingredients:

1/3 packet of whole wheat spaghetti noodles (1 packet=500 g)
1 tsp salt
water for cooking the noodles

Tomato Sauce:
olive oil, lots of it! (~3-4 tbsp)
1-2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 large tomato, chopped finely
3 tbsp tomato paste
1/3 box Igloo frozen 8-Kräuter chopped herbs
1/4 box Igloo frozen chopped parsely
1 tbsp capers along with a few tsp brine
salt, to taste
a 1 inch (2-3 cm) piece of parmesan, grated

Method:
  • Bring water to a boil and add salt and noodles. Stir in between. Cook till done (al denté, or as per taste). Pour out the water and wash them shortly with cold water and if the sauce is not already ready, add a little olive oil to coat the noodle with oil to prevent from sticking.
  • Fry the garlic for short in olive oil and add the chopped tomatoes and stir
  • add the tomato paste and stir. Cook till everything has become homogenous
  • add the frozen herbs, the capers and salt to taste and stir
  • Either mix the sauce with the noodle or serve separately garnished with grated parmesan, as per choice.
Since we have a 3 year old, who can make a big drama if he does not get to see the noodle pure, without anything, we always keep things, whenever possible, separate and mix in our own plates later!
The noodle were very well done. A quickfix which was also tasty! The only thing I missed was the pinch of sugar. They say here that tomatoes always need a pinch of sugar to enhance their taste, and I feel it is quite true.

7 comments:

Red Chillies said...

Make hay while the sun shines :-)) Great recipe and compliments to the chef :-)

Also wanted to updated that for the Herb Mania event you can use frozen fenugreek if you want.

~nm said...

Looks so tempting!!

I guess whenever I will visit you I will never want to go out and eat! You and Jijaji cook such delicious looking stuff!

And hwy, hows your finger? I hope its healing well.

Sunshinemom said...

This looks good, pg! It is such a blessing to have a 'cooking' husband, isn't it? My son is showing signs of interest, and I hope he is able to cook on his own when he grows up!

Aparna Inguva said...

Ah! See what a relief to have a cooking husband eh? Looks delicious
-A

PG said...

Thank you all! Well, honestly I don't mind a husband who does not cook. My hubby is an allrounder at doing chores at home. Although, right now he is neither into cooking much nor doing anything else, but it is surely a very big help when you have children and no household help. Or like when you have badly cut your finger and badly need help to take care of the child and the household. Luckily it was a weekend! But, things are back to normal now, almost!

Ivy said...

Aha, I see your husband is just like mine. Whenever I have to go out he cooks spaghetti and boasts about it too (lol). Thanks for visiting my blog.

Soma said...

Hey!! Love it when there are surprises like cooked food waiting at home:-)

I was going thru ur site... nice recipes. I have added u to my link.