Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Black Olive and Sage pesto


This was a very spontaneous idea to make something quick and easy for dinner. And then there is this event going on, which came to my mind and doubled the fun factor to experiment. :)
And I was surprised at how good it turned out. Blogging surely gives these creative spurts to you...uhhh...me. :) So, what about you?


Black olive and Sage Pesto

Ingredients:
80-100 g stoned black olives
a handful of sage leaves, chopped coarsely (from the garden)
2 large garlic cloves, chopped coarsely
1/2 handful of walnuts (optional -I left them out)
1 dried red chili, broken into pieces, seeds removed*
2 tbsp lemon juice
30 ml olive oil (roughly)

Method:
Grind everything together with a hand stick blender and season with salt to taste.
Use it on Italian bread slices to bake in the oven for a few minutes
or
as a pesto for pasta dish, like we did here:Pasta with black olive pesto

Ingredients:
1/4 to 1/3 packet of pasta (penne, tagliatelle or others)
1 large red onion, halved and cut into thin slices or chopped into smaller pieces
1 large garlic, chopped finely or crushed with a garlic press
8 medium mushrooms, quartered
1/2 zucchini, cut into 5 mm rings and then each ring into 4 thin stripes
4 large dried red tomatoes (Italian)
1 /3 cup stoned black olives, halved
5-6 large sage leaves, chopped
4 tbsp black olive pesto (see above)
3 tbsp red pesto - I used store bought one this time
olive oil
salt to taste
Parmesan to garnish (optional)- I left it out

Method:
  • Cook pasta till al dente with salt in enough water
  • Fry the garlic and onion for a minute in olive oil on high heat
  • reduce heat to medium high and add mushrooms and dried tomatoes, fry till done
  • add zucchini and sage and fry till cooked but still crispy
  • add the pesto and fry for short
  • serve warm
*Remove the seeds of the chili to reduce the hotness, or use them along, and you can adjust the amount of chili to your taste

We enjoyed eating this pasta a lot. I was a bit irritated that I had not taken care and the pasta had turned a bit too soft. Sonny boy was driving me crazy at that time and I was so busy trying to calm down - myself............:D!
But, then I tried to wash it with cold water once and save the pasta and it was just about OK. Hubby liked it and said very sportively that it doesn't matter and sat down at the table with enthusiasm, but like usual mentioned at the end that he doesn't like black olives. He can alwaaaa...ays find something to complain about. Grrrrrrrr........!
I loved the combination of sage and black olives and I purposefully left out the walnuts which I could have added to it, as I did not want to mix up too many flavours. And I licked away all the left overs of the pesto with my fingers from the bowl I used to prepare it :). A wonderful taste as it was.
So, this ones goes to the event Food in Colours (FIC): Purple and Black held at Sunshinemom's Tongueticklers
And I would like to send this entry to Andrea's Grow Your Own being hosted this time by Rachel of The Crispy Cook, another gluten free food blogger, I'm happy to discover.

In case you are curious to know what I did with the beetle. No, I didn't grind the poor soul with the leaves, but let it fly away on my terrace. It had come along with the sage leaves I had brought from my garden. Now that winter is coming, I had to finally cut them up and use a part and freeze another larger part for later use.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Thank you for submitting this delicious sounding recipe to Grow Your Own. I never thought of putting black olives in a pesto sauce but it sounds good. I love black olives!

sunshinemom said...

This pesto looks and sounds invigorating! I was wondering how this would taste coating baby potatoes!! Thanks for sending it to FIC:)

Soma said...

That bug looks realllly cute. & I love Black Olives.

Ivy said...

I love black olives, so this I must try it. It sounds great. That's a cute ladybird.

PG said...

Rachel, I thank you!

Sunshinemom, it was my pleasure! And that sounds wonderful! Oooh!... I'm already thinking of how I would make it...with potatoes fried in a pan till they get a nice brown crust. It would make a wonerful salad with arugula leaves or even some sage leaves, if you like a more strongly herby taste.

Soma, I was happy to have been able to take a picture. I took more, but since I was shaking too much or maybe the ladybug that I didn't get any sharp pictures.
sonny boy loved the pictures too.

Ivy, I would love to know your verdict, or for that matter your version of it.

Priya said...

I never thought about using sage n olive for pesto..looks delicious...need to try soon..pesto makes me hunger..

DEESHA said...

thatz a nice combination, would love to try it sometime

The Caked Crusader said...

Pesto and black olives are two of my favourite things - so can you imagine how excited I am about this?