Saturday, November 22, 2008

Gluten free Brownie Muffins

As you might know, this is the trial where I made a gluten free version of brownies, but without the xanthan gum. We made them using a muffin pan. Sonny boy loved these, so did I. To bite into the crust and then into the soft centre. It was something like a different version of Eclairs! :D
Hubby, he's not a brownie fan. But, the reason could have been the not so perfect results. The long baking time I used made the outer cover dry out a bit and I had to increase the baking time as the centre was still much too soft after 30 minutes. And maybe it was the lack of xanthan gum needed to replace the absence of wheat flour. I'm not sure. So, you see this is not a perfect result. I do plan to make them again and tell you about the improvements. But, anyways they tasted wonderful!

And here is the recipe:

Gluten free Brownie Muffins

I used a recipe from Wiki (here).

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 25-35 minutes
Baking temperature:
160-170 °C (convection: 150°C)


Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter (60 g)
1 cup sugar (200 g)
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract -I used bourbon vanilla extract
2 eggs -I used 1/2 cup or 100 g silken tofu, whipped smooth with a hand blender
1/3 cup all purpose flour (40 g )- I used 30 g rice flour and 10 g cornstarch
6 tbsp cocoa powder (40 g)
1/4 tsp salt (a pinch) -I used lesser than 1/4 tsp
1 cup whole nuts of choice, chopped or whole, like walnuts or hazelnuts or pecans

Method:
  • melt butter in a pot, add sugar, vanilla extract and eggs (or whipped silken tofu) and whip everything together
  • add flour(s) and cocoa powder (preferably sieved, to prevent clumps)
  • and stir to make a creamy paste
  • add the nuts, chopped or whole, and mix
  • spread on a small baking pan - I used a muffin pan
  • bake at 160-170 °C (convection: 150°C) for 25 - 35 minutes (check after 25 minutes) - I had to bake for 40 minutes
NOTE: The inside was very soft and gooey and the outside a bit dry. Although I'm told that this is how a brownie normally is, I'm not sure if this was an optimal result. Maybe I need to add xanthan gum or something similar to compensate for the wheat flour.

Rishab and I enjoyed the last bit of it yesterday and it was pure pleasure for both of us. So, I thought I might as well publish these not-so-perfect but yummy recipe, even though I had initially planned to bake it again and then publish it. As you can see I also made a coating of chocolate icing to compensate for the dryness, which worked wonders....

8 comments:

anudivya said...

Loooooove Hazelnuts, the cupcakes are divine.

n33ma said...

Such perfect cupcakes.

Priya said...

Prefectly baked Cupcakes...love anything with chocolates n nuts..drooling over them..

Sagari said...

so chocolatyyy , love thos cupcakes

Sunshinemom said...

This does look very delicious, PG! I have never done gluten free bakes so this is a new one for me!

Malar Gandhi said...

Thanks for the support and standing by me, dear. I will never forget your gesture. gluten free bakes...interesting dude...

PG said...

thank you all for being so generous with your praises! :)
Malar, any sensible blogger would do it. Wish I could do more to prevent plagiarism.

Ivy said...

They Look Beautiful.