Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Fruity apple cookies

This recipe of cookies has been inspired by Madhram's event Egg replacement-flax seeds at her Egglesscooking .com. Now, all I needed was a nice recipe of cookies to take on this challenge. On searching, I found this simple recipe of cookies with some lovely ingredients and I felt that this would be a good bet for combining both my experiments. Now you might ask, which two? Well, one is the egg replacement with flax seeds and the other to make it gluten free.
Lately, I have been wanting to again start with my experiments with gluten free baking for my nephew Advik. I had done it once a while ago, but somehow got stuck after that. Now, I want to spare you with my excuses and rather tell you what all I have been wanting to do, and what all I have tried already, like this recipe too. I want to bake a bread, but still haven't really got an appropriate recipe. As most of the recipes call for xanthan gum, something which I haven't found yet locally. I haven't tried it online, but I really didn't want mine being shipped from far off places, if it is not necessary.
After trying out a couple of recipes I have now realised that xanthan gum or something similar is an important ingredient of gluten free baking, especially for breads to turn out into something edible. And it was a good idea to wait for the bread recipe and trying out some simpler experiments first. I have tried a recipe of gluten free brownies, which did not turn out the way it should have, I think (recipe coming up soon!). Now there, like here too I also tried to make them egg free by replacing them with silken tofu, maybe I should do it step by step and not make too many experiments in one go. It tasted wonderful, but was a bit sticky and gooey and not fluffy at all.
From what I know for cookies the flour types can be much more easily replaced or exchanged than for breads. Unless you have xanthan gum. My search is on. But, I am happy with this recipe which is also gluten and egg free.

A note beforehand: As guided by Madhuram in her event, this is what I did to replace the eggs: For each egg to be replaced, whisk 1 tablespoon (15gm) of ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons (I required 4 tbsp) of water until the mixture is thick and creamy.

Apple Oats Cookies

Based on the recipe at Kochmeister.com

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 20 - 25 minutes (I baked for 35 minutes)
Baking temp.: 200°C (Convection oven: 180°C)
Quantity : about 25- 30 pieces, for 2 baking sheets

Dry Ingredients:
500 g tart apples, washed and grated with skin (6-7 small apples from the garden)
150 g all purpose flour - I replaced it with : 100 g whole meal rice flour (coarse ground) and 50 g cornstarch - both gluten free
100 g thick rolled oats (kernige Haferflocken) - I would like to replace it with puffed amaranth and some sunflower seeds next time
2 1/2 tsp baking powder - I used gluten-free cream of tartar baking powder
1 pinch cinnamon
I also added:
50 g ground almonds with skin

Wet Ingredients:
100 g soft butter
70 g brown sugar - I used powdered jaggery / whole cane sugar
zest of 1 lemon
3 middle sized eggs - I replaced them with 3 tbsp finely ground flax seeds (linseed) and added 4 tbsp lukewarm water for each, i.e., 12 tbsp in total in a bowl and let seep for a while
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp orange juice
50 g raisins - I soaked 60 g in hot water for short and let excess water drip off on a sieve


Method:
  • Mix thoroughly with a whisk flour, cornstarch, rolled oats, cinnamon and baking powder in a bowl
  • beat together butter, sugar, lemon zest, the juices, and eggs (or the replacement) - start beating with butter and add the ingredients one by one
  • Preheat oven, grate apples and add to the batter along with the flour and raisins and mix to wet everything
  • with a tablespoon place spoonfuls on two baking trays lined with baking sheets. pressing it down a little to make round shapes
  • bake in a preheated oven at 200°C (I used convection: 180°C) for 20-25 minutes, I needed 35 minutes and let stand in the oven a while before opening the door slightly and leaving it for another 20 minutes or so before taking them out and letting them cool down
How did my experiment taste?
Wonderful! It had this slightly sour taste through the tart apples which was lovely and I had coated half of the cookies as you can see with some leftover chocolate icing (couverture; I'm not sure if there is a difference between the two, but I used the latter) which made the taste even more better. But, as I knew hubby would prefer without, I did not bother to coat them all with the chocolate icing. And hubby actually found the ones without the icing better. These cookies are very mildly sweet. So, one could surely increase the sweetness to ones taste.
I would like to add some more cinnamon or cardamom next time too.
These were quite soft and not the crispy kinds, like cookies normally are. Almost like a miniature bread, maybe because of the apples or maybe because of the rice? Maybe that also explains why the brownies also turned out so soft. Maybe it is the rice flour which is making it so soft. Now the next time I will make them with wheat flour to solve the puzzle. :)
Naturally I'm sending this off to Flax seeds-egg replacement event at Madhuram's Egglesscooking .com

8 comments:

anudivya said...

That put me in a mood for cookies... got to get myself off this chair and make some!
Not these since I don't have apples right now, but anything sweet...

PG said...

Anudivya, do tell us about it, once you have made them. :)

Priya said...

Wow Pg..they looks delicious..sure need to try..

Red Chillies said...

Try as many times as I can, but flax seed replacement does not work for me at all.I love your cookies though!

Madhuram said...

That's an interesting experiment and experience I guess. I don't think the softness is due to the flax seed meal, maybe beacause of the flour.

Also I have another update regarding the ratio: I see quite many proportions out there. So I have updated it in my blog. I posted a vegan brownie yesterday and the recipe used 1 teaspoon of flax seed powder and 1/4 cup water and the brownies came out so good.

Thanks for the entry.

Malar Gandhi said...

First time here....just poped in to say Hello. They look cute...and recipe sounds delicious to me!

Sunshinemom said...

These look good! PG - esp. the chocolate coated ones.

PG said...

Thanks Priya!

RC, these were wonderful. Mine did not taste at all like flax seeds, whose taste I also don't like.And the only thing was the softness, which i feel, just like Madhuram, that it was not because of the flax seed meal but maybe the rice flour. have to test the recipe with wheat flour yet.

Thanks a lot for informing about the update, Madhuram!

Thanks MG and welcome to my blog!

Sunshinemom, I would surely make then with the chocolate coating next time. They tasted surely better in my opinion. Though hubby prefers without, so will only leave out one part for him. :)