Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Herbed chicken


This was an effort to make a simpe dish without too many things. Simple. That was the explicit request of hubby, who was a bit down with cold. On asking if this type of chicken would be OK, he probably didn't hear properly and just said something which I couldn't understand and I repeated and and he said "what ever...". So, when the food came on the table, he was a bit surprised, as he was expecting something Indian style and I was quite irritated with this and said" well, I asked you....?". But, it didn't take long for us to get back into a happy mood as we were enjoying something which had turned out so delicous and hubby was all praise for me. I don't make chicken like this usually. I did check some recipes before I was confident enough to make it the way I wanted, just with some herbs, some black pepper , potatoes - I like to have them with chicken quite often, being a big potato lover! They also get a good flavour from the chicken through that. I had also put some fennel stems for flavour, which were the left overs of the side dish I was preparing, which had also turned out much better than my expectations. A simple meal turned great! That's how we felt about it.

Herbed chicken

Preparation time: 25 minutes
Baking time: 1 1/2 -2 hours
Baking temp.: 200°C
Main utensils: A large baking pan with lid or a porcelain baking dish and aluminium foil (a Roemertopf is ideal)

Ingredients:

4 chicken legs with skin, washed, pat dried and the fat removed
5-6 small potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
1 large red onion, cut into wedges
1/2 white onion, cut into wedges
2 large garlic cloves, thickly sliced lengthwise
2 tbsp lemon juice (I left it out)
4-5 leftover stems of fennel (optional)
1 level tbsp vegetable broth (organic) - as a replacement for the white wine
a hand full of fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme
250 ml water
salt to taste
10-15 peppercorns, or to taste - crushed coarsely in a mortar
2-3 tbsp olive oil

Method:
In a baking dish of choice:
  • rub the cleaned chicken with the peppercorns, salt, the herbs and lemonjuice, also under the skin
  • mix with garlic and onion (also under the skin)
  • add the potatoes and fennel and olive oil and salt to taste for the potatoes
  • mix the potatoes with the herbs as well
  • stir the vegetable broth with the water and add to the chicken
  • cover with a lid or aluminium foil
  • bake for 2 hours at 200°C
  • serve with steamed basmati rice or any rice of choice
I have never made chicken so simple, with so few spices and which still turned out so delicious!
We ate it with fennel and carrot Au Gratin and steamed basmati rice. This is again one of those pictures I hadn't planned to take, like I mentioned in my last post about the side dish, and in a hurry and the dark days that we are having now adding to the difficulty, it has beome difficult to take good pictures so easily. But, if you have tried something similar before then you would know what I'm talkig about. And I didn't miss the wine at all. Initially I was thinking of adding the vegetables to the chicken, but somehow felt it better to keep them separate. And it was surely a good decision. This was a splendid dish and a big success as an experiment, as I felt it to be!

5 comments:

n33ma said...

Looks nice.most ppl dont like skin on the chicken but I'm not one of them.This is surely Bookmarked.Will let you know how it turned out :)

PG said...

thanks n33ma! Do tell me how you liked it. We didn't eat the skin, but it is quite good to keep the chicken tender while baking.

Priya said...

Delicious chicken..am drooling now here..PG i have something for u in my blog..pls check it at: http://priyaeasyntastyrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/11/awards-time.html

Priya said...

No PG...ur name is rite there..as i want to share with some many bloggers friends, some names i left to add coz i was in hurry, but ur name is rite there as PG..pls collect the awards..

JUde said...

Looks so good and simple enough :) This is going to make the kitchen smell sooo nice.