Sunday, January 4, 2009

Oatmeal and Marzipan Cookies


I made these cookies for Christmas. It wasn't planned in fact, but after seeing the original recipe at Anudivya's Blog A little Bit More, with very creative and healthy recipes, many of which are modified recipes made healthy by - which appear to me to be - such drastic reductions of sugar and fats that it always leaves me amazed. I love oatmeal cookies and had been wanting to make them on my own, but as it always is with me, since I get the lovely Brandt oatmeal Hobbits which I like a lot, I never really bothered to try making these on my own. But, when I saw these not only healthy and but also tempting cookies she had made, I knew I had to try these.
That I would add dried currents was clear to me right from the beginning. But, since I was in the mood of using ingredients more appropriate for Christmas, the idea of using marzipan came into my mind and I did it with wonderful results.

Oatmeal and Marzipan Cookies

Recipe by PG of My Kitchen Stories

Adapted from Anudivya's recipe at ...and A little Bit More...

Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
Baking time: 30 - 35 minutes
Temperature: 150°C (convection: 120°C)

Ingredients:
3-4 tbsp butter / margarine (if you wish to roll out the dough and use cookie cutters, 4 tbsp will be required)
5 tbsp sugar (measured) - increase quantity to taste
150 g oat flour (I ground wholegrain tender oats flakes - DE: Kölln blütenzarte vollkorn Haferflocken)
120 g almond meal
100g raw marzipan* (marzipan rohmasse, with no additional sugar) - optional
1 packet of vanilla sugar (or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract)
80 g dried currents (DE: Korinthen)

Method:
  • grease baking sheets, lay on baking trays and set aside
  • if using oat flakes, grind them in a coffee mill or dry grinder
  • combine all ingredients together except for currents with your hands or using a mixer
  • add currents and combine with your hands to make one large ball
  • either
    • make small balls out of it and press down** with the palms to flatten
    • or, roll out with a rolling pin and cut out cookies using cookie cutters
  • place on the greased baking sheet
  • bake for 30-35 minutes (if using oat flakes, which are precooked, 25 minutes are enough)
  • let them cool down before picking up the cookies, to avoid crumbling
NOTE:
* Raw Marzipan as a term, according to Deutsche Lebensmittelbuch, a part of LFGB - the German book of Food Law, can only be used if the product does not contain more than 35% sugar and those with higher amounts of sugar have to be named differently. Go to Niederegger for more details.
** If using wholegrain oat flakes the balls will not melt down on their own, due to coarse structure and low amounts of butter, flatten them with hands into shape

These cookies don't look so fancy as the previous ones, but these are the kinds i could gobble up any time of the day any time of the year! I actually stuck to the recipe of Anudivya for the use of sugar, and these were only very mildly sweet, although I also had marzipan in it and that must have made them sweeter than her recipe. But, these weren't even half as sweet as the other cookies I had made.
Anudivya, these were my favorite cookies among all the lovely ones I made this time. It was actually for the first time that all the cookies I made for Christmas actually got eaten as well and are almost all gone. In the last few years of experimenting with a number of cookies I have learned the tastes most appreciated at my home. I admit, that includes myself too. :D
This is going to be one recipe I will be using quite often, for sure. I wish to try making my own marzipan, without bitter almonds, which aren't as healthy for toddlers, although sunny boy has almost crossed that age. And that would make the recipe even more interesting.
If you haven't baked enough cookies already and are in the mood for them, then do try this one. I bet, you won't be disappointed!
Now, before I end this post and before I forget to mention, I must add that I made these cookies together with sunny boy and he enjoyed it a lot. So, if you wish to bake cookies with your 3 year old, then these are the best cookies I can recommend you. I admit, the currents did cause us some difficulty while cutting them out with the different cookie cutter shapes sunny boy wished to use, but then we are there to help them. And it was huge fun for both of us.

14 comments:

anudivya said...

Thanks so much for your kind words PG! I am very happy that you all liked it, and I like your cookies better than mine with the marzipan and currants. I might even try incorporating them the next time.

Yet again, thank so much for being so nice and for enthusiastically trying out the cookies. You made my day! :)

sowmya said...

cookies look wonderful....actually healthy..

Sunshinemom said...

It is always great when we bake or cook with kids:) A hug to the little fellow for helping out his Ma! Cookies look great, PG.

Priya said...

Cookies looks awesome n healthy..

Curry Leaf said...

Wonderful and definitely healthy.I have not yet worked with marzipan.These look as delish as AnuDivya's.I too had bookmarked those.

Soma said...

Really Nice ones PG... I have never worked with marzipan.

Uma said...

cookies look so mouth-watering and healthy!

Aparna said...

I love oats in any form (except the sweet porridge with milk!) and your cookies sound delicious.

A very happy, peaceful and prosperous New Year to you and family.

Alka said...

My 6 yr old is too eager to learn cooking,esp. when i am making sweets he just hang around and refuse to budge till i m thru and let him taste it...This is a lovely recipe and i loved it even more coz ur toddler enjoyed it making these with u :-)

PG said...

Anudivya, it was my pleasure. You deserve it!

Sowmya, aren't they?! :)

Sunshinemom, you bet! and thanks!

Priya, thanks a lot! If you say so then they have to be :)

Curry leaf, thanks, you won#t be dosappointed, they really are lovely!

Soma, I don't like marzipan, sweets so much, but love it in baked goods like cakes.

Uma, thanks a lot!

Aparna, ditto! I love oats, but no porridge please, :D Thanks you for your good wishes!

Alka, thank you so much for your warm comments! :)

Vanamala Hebbar said...

nice recipe

DEESHA said...

lovely cookies PG. Happy new year to you & your family too

Bharti said...

Such lovely cookies and your German names for the ingredients make them sound even more exotic.

PG said...

Thanks Vanamala !
Thanks Deesha!
Bharti, ha ha ha! :)