Sunday, January 18, 2009

Teltower Rübchen


I had some time to go to the farmer's market (DE: Wochenmarkt) just nearby. While searching for some nice vegetables I came across these beets which i wasn't sure if the were turnips or radishes. They wee shaped more like radishes but still looked different and did give the texture of turnips. On asking what it was I was told its name, even more strange to me with which I was even more lost - Teltower Rübchen. So I asked more details about it and got to know that it is a vegetable which tastes a bit like turnip but is "different" and is from the region Mecklenburg Vorpommern, a state in north eastern Germany. On checking about it in Wikipedia I found some more details. It is a type of turnip which got its name from the town Teltow in the state Brandenburg, Germany, where it was grown in plenty in and around that town. On smelling them I could smell this typical turnip like smell, but much milder than a turnip I felt. I don't like turnips, except pickled the Indian way. My mom made such lovely Indian pickles with them every winter, usually in huge ceramic +jars meant only for this purpose. But, all the kids would gobble them up within a few weeks along with our food.
The next day I wanted to make something Indian, and I had planned to cook daal (lentils), so, these beets found good use as an accompaniment. I quickly took a picture of these before starting with cooking them. It had turned a bit cloudy and dark by the time a took the picture.


To prepare the" subzi" (any vegetable preparation) I just used my gut feel and tried to make something full of flavours at the same time where the flavours blended well together. And this is what came out:

Teltower Rübchen

Recipe by PG of My Kitchen Stories

Ingredients:
500 g turnips (I used Teltower turnips), peeled and cubed or cut into long strips
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed or cut into thick long strips
1 large yellow onion, sliced or chopped
1 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
1 tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp coriander seeds, ground
1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds, ground
1/8 tsp red chilli powder
2 tbsp rapeseed oil for frying
salt to taste

Method:
  • heat oil in a pan and splutter ajwain
  • add potatoes, onion, ginger, turmeric and red chili powder, and stir
  • add ground coriander- and fenugreek seeds , mix everything
  • keep cooking covered on medium heat
  • once the potatoes are almost done, add the turnips
  • cook covered till done
  • serve with hot rotis or rice along with some daal.
I was quite satisfied with the results and we enjoyed eating something new for a change. I purposefully didn't add too many or too much spices together or make any spice paste so as not to hide the flavour of this new vegetable. I used ajwain however, as I felt with its characteristic flavour it should make a good combination with the turnips.
The turnips were mildly sweet after I had fried them for long till they got slightly caramelised on the surface and the turmeric and ajwain gave a good contrast to balance out its flavour. After this experience I know for sure that we will be eating the other regular turnips also more often. Next time i do wish to cook them in a different way and try out other flavours too.

I'm sending this wonderful Teltower Rübchen "subzi" over to Sunshinemom's Food in Colours : Yellow









And it also goes to this weeks Weekend Herb Blogging started by Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen which has now been taken over by Haalo at Cook (almost) Everything Atleast Once and being hosted this week by Rachel of The Crispy Cook.

18 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for all the good information and great recipe regarding these unusual turnips. Look for a roundup of Weekend Herb Blogging recipes on Monday.

Ivy said...

It's amazing how many things we do not know. It's the first time I've heard of this but it is wonderful how many things we learn every day. Your recipe sounds delicious.

Priya said...

This dish is really very interesting PG..never thought of making turnips with potatoes...sounds delicious..

DEESHA said...

wow thatz an amazing dish, PG. loved it

Sunshinemom said...

Sometime since you posted a veg. dish, isn't it? These do look a bit like radish too. I have tasted turnips made in a somewhat similar manner, and like that you experiment - I do too whenever I come across veggies I haven't seen before. I like small turnips and radishes eaten best raw! Thank you for the innovative entry, dear PG!

sowmya said...

interesting post with good info..
never tried turnip in my life..have to now..

Priya said...

Got something to share with u, pls check at my blog..

Sunshinemom said...

Sorry! I just found three non-veg ones in between, probably that is the reason I felt the gap was long:)! You are right - that wasn't so long ago:)

Soma said...

That is indeed a new looking veggie, something of everthing.. turnip, radish... Well nice info PG, & i always get excited finding new things.

nice dish.. i have some turnips sitting in my fridge, have to do somehting with them.

Aparna said...

I have never seen turnips this colour. Have to say the green/ white contrast looks lovely.
I thought the curry was made of potatoes, for a minute!
Though radish/ turnips are not favourites in our home.:(

Bharti said...

Very cool. You've put me in the mood for turnips now.

Laurie Constantino said...

Very interesting - I've never heard of this vegetable before. I definitely would've thought they were radishes. Thanks for the information!

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the introduction to a new vegetable.

anudivya said...

That is interesting... I don't remember seeing this beautiful vegetable here and love the way you have cooked it PG.

A_and_N said...

Its such a bright colour! And I've never heard of this veggie before. Will scour our farmer's markets for this :)

Curry Leaf said...

New to me.I am not a fan of turnips.Love the way you cooked it.When a veggie is new to me,I too cook it with dals.Love it PG.The name makes it all the more intriguing.

Sophie said...

How neat! I've seen these around but have never known what to do with 'em! This sounds so fragrant; I'm a fan of turnips in stews and soups, so I'll have to try these one day!

Maggie said...

What an interesting find and I love the recipe you used them in!