Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ginger and Cranberry Cookies


It was in the middle of the month January and it was freezing cold outside. Late in the evening before I sat down in front of the TV I felt like getting some cookies. I went to the kitchen, opened the cookie tin in the cupboard and was shocked to see just two cookies left. my thoughts were "Two cookies only! Goodness! I need to bake cookieeeeees!..." .
I used the first opportunity I got two days later and baked what I had in mind already. I had bought a box of candied ginger slices at the Asian shop and wanted to use it in cookies. Since I had liked my last batch of almond oats cookies so much and felt that ginger would go well with it I tried it. I used half the dough with currents like the last time for sunny boy and for us - me and hubby, added candied ginger to make ginger oats cookies.
They turned out fantastic! Hubby loved them, as I expected. But, somehow I felt the cookies weren't perfect, there was still something missing. Today I baked another round. While going through the box of nuts and dried fruits in the fridge I saw this packet of leftover dried cranberries. I took a small piece and put it in my mouth and immediately felt that these would go well with the candied ginger. And now these cookies are indeed perfect!
Hubby who went, on smelling the cookies in the kitchen, tried them and also said that these are even better than the last batch. I've packing half of these for my FIL, who likes ginger in food.


Ginger and Cranberry cookies

Recipe by PG of My Kitchen Stories

based on the previous recipe of Almonds, Currents and Oats Cookies

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
Temperaure: 150°C (convection: 120°C)
Makes: 20-25 pieces (if rolled thin, around 30 pieces)

Ingredients:
150 g whole rolled oats (or oat flour)- I used 130 g whole rolled oats and 50 g rice flakes
100 g slivered almonds, divided (80g almonds ground + 20 g crushed lightly)
5 tbsp butter or margarine
5 tbsp level sugar
50g raw marzipan ( marzipan rohmasse, with no additional sugar)
100 g candied ginger slices, chopped finely
30 g dried cranberries*, chopped finely

Method:
  • grease 1 baking sheet, lay them on a baking tray and set aside
  • grind the flakes in a coffee mill or dry grinder
  • combine all ingredients together except for currrents with your hands or using a mixer
  • add currents and combine with your hands to make one large ball
  • either
    • make small balls out of it and press down with the palms to flatten
    • or, roll out with a rolling pin and cut out cookies using cookie cutters
  • place on the greased baking sheet
  • bake for 25 minutes
  • let them cool down before picking up the cookies, to avoid crumbling
*dried currents can also be used instead of cranberries or just leave it out completely.

candied ginger slices

Other Ginger cookies:
Ginger Snap Cookies at Jude's Apple Pie, Patis, and Pâté
Ginger shortbread at Meeta's What's For Lunch Honey

12 comments:

Aparna Inguva said...

Hey PG, Yum cookies. Thought I'd drop by and say hi. Hope you are doing great.

Kevin said...

Those cookies look good. I recently made some cookies with candied ginger in them and it worked well.

aparna said...

Yummy cookies.

A_and_N said...

Sunny must have loved them! :)

~nm said...

They look so yummy. I can almost imagine the taste of ginger and cranberries in my mouth :)

sowmya said...

sounds good and looks delicious..

TS said...

they look so pretty...and those flavors sound delicious together!

trupti
the spice who loved me

Soma said...

wooooo ginger cookies. O am not too fond of any cookies... but these i will have.. the zing of the giner & the sweet & tart of cranberries are just perfect.

Curry Leaf said...

Delish and must on my to do list.Love it PG.From now onwards,will comment from Blore.

Priya said...

Wat a scrumptious cookies, never tried yet anything with ginger..looks very prefect PG..

Asha said...

Gorgeous cookies, so plump and spicy. Good one. Happy V day to you, enjoy! :))

Jude said...

I have a mild addiction to snacking on candied ginger. I have a feeling I'm going to like this ;)