Saturday, February 14, 2009

Potato patty and Pita bread sandwich

I have been a bit lackadaisical in posting. There were too many things, in my mind and otherwise, which needed attention. Now, I felt, it is high time I posted at least a couple of more posts. The next few weeks will again be busy, but I will try to post at least one or two more. After all, I don't want to miss Sunshinemom's FIC (Food in colour) event being held at Aparna's My Diverse Kitchen this time and the colour being orange. I even know what I want to make for it. Just hope I get time for it.
Now to this sandwich. I made these sandwiches last year on two following days as a midday snack and ate them all on my own and how I enjoyed it. I still remember it clearly. (OK, I also made them for my family but don't rememebr much about it. LOL!). So, on seeing Bay Leaf's Bread Mania I serched though my pictures collection that it has become and found these sandwiches and here they are:


Ingredients:
1/2 Pita bread
2 potato patties*
2 slices of tomato
a few arugula leaves, or any other sald leaf of choice - washed and pat dried
a few tbsp coconut-groundnut chutney
salt and black pepper (or chilli pepper) to taste

Method:
  • prepare the patties* and other ingredients
  • cut the pita bread into half and loosen both sides by inserting a knife in the middle carefully
  • brush with very little olive oil (or butter) on the both the outer sides and toast on a cast iron pan till they get nice brown spots on each sides
  • arrange the sandwitch and eat with the chutney in the sandwich or separately, like I did
  • Bon Appetit!
*To make potato patties I mashed boiled potatoes with sesame seeds, finely chopped onions, grated ginger and spices like roasted cumin powder, ground coriander seeds, black salt, salt and chilli powder. I made good sized round balls, flattened them down to make round shaped patties and roasted them in a frypan in little oil till both the sides were browned.

I would ideally like to give a more precise recipe, but this is all I can do right now and post my recipe finally.
So, here it comes, Sindhura, my Pita sandwich just for you! :)
Check the event details here at her blog Bayleaf.

14 comments:

A_and_N said...

I love pita! And will eat it with anything. Even just leaves ;) inside!

Cynthia said...

Love this!

Sunshinemom said...

I haven't made pita bread yet, you just reminded me:) Potato patties go so well with anything! Appetizing!

Ivy said...

It's been such a long time I haven't made pita bread. Your potato patties are great with pita.

Priya said...

I love pita bread, u r tempting me now, potato patties seems to go prefect with pita bread PG..excellent idea of making sandwich with potato patties n pita bread:)

Kevin said...

That pita looks good!

Soma said...

Yes Potato patties go with about anything!! Lovely with pitas!

Sophie said...

I like all of the savory ingredients you used in the potato patties...I've been wanting to make something like this for so long! My mouth is watering at the sight of this yummy sandwich with the crispy potato filling!

Nithya Praveen said...

First time to ur blog..looks wonderful.Very well presented:)

Katie said...

What a delicious meal! I love pita bread. And potaotes :)

Usha said...

Potato patties is the most versatile filling for all kind of wraps and sandwiches...this one looks inviting :-)

n33ma said...

Lovely click....

Premyscakes said...

Pita looks perfect and yum, u have a nice blog.

Sahaja said...

hey PG...i always wanted to know how to make patty...and u made it look so simple...great recipe and am glad i found similar people....i try my best to avoid milk and its products :P