Sunday, February 8, 2009

Turnip 'subzi' and the recipe for Blogger Aid Cookbook

I have been lagging badly in posting my recipes in the last few weeks. But, I know you all know such situations. Now, I have a long list of things to post about and so little time. Let's see when I manage it all. In a couple of weeks sunnyboy's birthday is coming and I'll again get busy planning about how and what to oraganise for the party which I want to do at home, at least this year, he's going to be four now. How time flies.
So, coming to the vegetable of the day: Turnips! Yes, I dared to buy them. *grin* Turnips are called weiße Rüben or also Speiserüben here. In all these years of living in Germany I never ever thought of buying them. I never liked turnips in India. When my mom did cook them (she didn't do it so often 'cause none of us, my dad included, liked it! LOL!) I did eat it, but it was always a "horrible" experience. :D But, they had a much stronger flavour in India.
Turnip is a very seasonal thing here and actually you don't come aross them in the supermarkets here, but either in small grocery shops or the farmers market. I had seen them a number of times before but knew for sure that I didn't want to try it. I had felt the urge to try making an Indian pickle with them when I saw them this year, though, but the lack of sun has never given me enough confidence to try it until now. But, it is on my list of things to do. Maybe next summers. I just have to remember it in time.



Turnip greens
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 20 kcal 80 kJ
Carbohydrates 4.4 g
- Dietary fibre 3.5 g
Fat 0.2 g
Protein 1.1 g
Vitamin A equiv. 381 μg 42%
Folate (Vit. B9) 118 μg 30%
Vitamin C 27 mg 45%
Vitamin K 368 μg 350%
Calcium 137 mg 14%
cooked, boiled, drained, without salt
Percentages are relative to US
recommendations for adults.
Source: USDA Nutrient database
But, after having tried this very new turnip variety recently I had never seen before, I got to realise that I must try turnips atleast once too and see how they really taste. And my hunch was right: they did taste quite different than the ones I had eaten before. Infact, these tasted wonderful! I almost feel stupid for not having tried them before.
Here is some information from Wikipedia (source) on the nutritional value of turnips:


Turnip subzi

Recipe by PG of My Kitchen Stories

Ingredients:
1 bunch turnip greens, thick stems removed, washed throughly and chopped finely
1 large turnip (DE: weiße Rüben), peeled and cubed
1 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated (I used 1/4 tsp dry ginger powder, as I didn't have any)
1 heaped tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1-1/2 tbsp coriander seeds, ground
1/8 tsp red chilli powder (or to taste)
2 tbsp rapeseed oil for frying
salt to taste

Method:
  • heat oil in a pan and splutter ajwain
  • add ginger, turmeric, ground coriander seeds and red chili powder, and stir shortly
  • add turnip cubes, mix everything
  • keep cooking covered on medium heat
  • once the turnips are almost done, add the turnip greens
  • cook covered for a few minutes till the greens turn slightly darker and shrivel (the volume will reduce a lot)
  • serve with hot rotis or rice along with some daal.


For me this was a wonderful replacement for "Muli ki bhujiya" (stirfried radish greens) which I love, they tasted almost the same. I always cried that I don't get radish greens. These are again a seasonal thing and you have to go to the farmer's market for that. But, now I know that I can fullfill my wish to have this comfort food by simply buying the "weiße Rüben" now which are much easier to find than radish greens. Happy, Happy, Happy! That's what I am.

And now one more thing. I have been thinking for long now what to send to the Blogger Aid Cookbook.

After I made this dish (see below) and reliased that it is my very own version of a potato salad which I have learnt to make (and perfected :) ) after experimenting in the last few years, I felt this to be a good choice and here it is, another of our family favorite and one recipe for which I always get appreciation from family and friends on get-togethers. Especially in our barbecue parties this salad is never missing, though with small changes where I leave out the vegetables in it and add some cheese variety instead.

11 comments:

DEESHA said...

nice subzi.. I havent tried anything with turnips. Looks yumm

Bellini Valli said...

Your potato salad looks delicious. Thank you so much for wanting to participate in the BloggerAid cookbook. It means a lot to many:D

Alka said...

Both recipes are very nice,i love turnips,esp in pickles and semidry subzi.We even sundry these and later make wonderful curries with turnips
Will surely try this recipe,and let u know the results

Soma said...

Lovely contribution PG! for a good cause. I got turnips last week. still in my fridge. got to do something with them.

Priya said...

Potato salad n subzi looks delicious..lovely contribution for good cause PG!!

Sophie said...

This is very neat! I am a big fan of turnips, they have such a unique flavor! Turnip greens, I'll have to try those!

aparna said...

Yummy and perfect contribution.

Pavithra Kodical said...

Turnip always tastes great...Looks delicious..

mycookinghut said...

Turnips!! I love the photo of the raw turnips.. so cute!

Curry Leaf said...

Wow,Looks great PG.I have never been a fan of turnips.Would love to try this though.The potato salad dish is yummy as well.
Yes,its me in the T&T hosting.I am sorry I could not respond earlier-you know the reasons.

Ivy said...

Have never cooked with turnip before so I must definitely try it. The potato salad looks beautiful and I am sure will make a lovely addition to the cookbook.