Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Red Beans and Yellow Pepper stirfry

I was initially planning to just post this quick fix but extremely delicious beans stirfry at Healthy and Tasty, a blog by a group of working/at home mommies wanting to exchange ideas for easy meals for babies and kids. But I feel this is something I haven't made like this before and it tasted so good that I felt like sharing this rather simple recipe with you.

Kidney beans or red beans (scientifically Phaseolus vulgaris) are supposed to have many different good qualities as food. They are high in protein and fibers which apparently help lower or control cholesterol levels and prevent a rapid increase in blood sugar levels. They are also packed with a number of healthful trace elements (minerals), a notable one being molybdenum. Molybdenum is a part of a number of enzymes which are required for a healthy metabolism of the body.

I combined this quick and easy beans stirfry with a little more time-consuming but healthy Indian flatbreads - Rotis- made without using any wheat flour. No, it wasn't glutenfree as I used barley in it. Their recipe will have to wait for now. I'm still trying to perfect the recipe of a wheat or spelt-free roti. Why, when it is not gluten free, I'll tell you soon (you can surely guess where I'm pointing towards).

So, here comes the recipe:

Red Beans and Yellow Pepper stirfry

Recipe by PG of My Kitchen Stories

Ingredients:

3/4 can of red / kidney beans, washed and letting excess water drip off
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic, peeled and sliced
3-4 dried tomato halves, chopped
1 pinch red chilli powder
a few dashes black pepper, fresh from the mill
a few small sprigs rosemary, broken coarsely
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into bite sized pieces

Method:
  • heat 2 tbsp oil in a fry pan on medium high
  • add the beans and garlic and stir, reduce heat to medium
  • after a few minutes add the dried tomatoes, rosemary and the spices
  • add one more tbsp oil, if required
  • keep stirring in between, for about 10 minutes
  • once you get a nice smell coming from the beans and they look nicely roasted add the yellow bell pepper
  • increase heat and fry for a few minutes on medium high, stirring in between
  • serve warm with bread, roti or steamed rice
I loved the aroma which was coming from the beans being roasted in the pan. Sunny boy ate the beans willingly and since he believes that he 'only' likes yellow bell peppers (he at least keeps saying so), he was happy to have it on his plate along with roti (Indian flatbread) and also ate everything except for - you have three guesses. Grrrr! When will he learn to eat the so-full-of-health, vitamins rich, blah blah blah peppers?! :(
But, despite all that I love the way he says "Umm, .... umm, so lecker (so tasty)!"

I had been seeing the beautiful logo of MLLA-8th Helping everywhere and had been wanting to send a recipe too. I also had one, but then time constraints were preventing me from posting it. But, then I made this and decided upon this one for this month's event.

So, here it goes to Susan's My Legume Love Affair - Eighth Helping and with the hope of winning the copy of Cynthia's brand new book. :)

23 comments:

aparna said...

Looks so yummy.

Vaidehi said...

wow delicious and so colorful!!

chakali

Sunshinemom said...

Recipe looks very good. It is a new combination and I would like to try out yours - the yellow looks very inviting! The spices sound great too!

Priya said...

Wat colourful stirfry...delicious and new combination...yellow pepper looks gorgeous...

Asha said...

What a colorful and yummy combo PG, good one for this event girl! :))

Curry Leaf said...

Surely new recipe for me.Never ever tried rosemary with beans/legumes thgh I love that herb.Love the dish PG,waiting for wheat free rotis

Curry Leaf said...

Sorry,I cannot be of any help regarding the sour cream .It was too late for me,though I must add that,I used light sour cream which has 40% lesser FAT then original.

Soma said...

Don't u love those colors! nice pairing. The closest thing to this i remember is when one friend made celery & kidney beans. I got LOADS of yellow pepper last week, they were up for sale & i went crazy.

Superchef said...

thanks for visiting my blog! the colours of this stir-fry look absolutely stunning!! nice entry!

Usha said...

I have never combined beans with pepper, sounds interesting and looks colorful and inviting !

A_and_N said...

The colors are perfect! Someone is allergic to gluten?

Kevin said...

I have been enjoying beans lately and this looks good. Nice colours!

n33ma said...

Absolutely delicious looking

DEESHA said...

looks delicious & colorful .. a very healthy dish

Katie said...

I love beans! The colors in this dish are great.

You asked about gluten-free oats...I use Bob's Red Mill GF Oats (http://www.bobsredmill.com/product.php?productid=4075&cat=123&page=1) which I have found at my local HyVee as well as Whole Foods.

Maya said...

That really looks yummy and delicious! So simple to put together too, thanx for sharing!

Sia said...

ur bean-pepper sald wrapped in warm pitta with little tahni and i ready to dig in :)

Lakshmi Venkatesh said...

Looks simple yet Delicious.

Cynthia said...

A combo I would never have thought us. Love the colours.

Ivy said...

I love the combination of ingredients and the dish sounds delicious and healthy.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

thanks PG for visiting my blog.. yeah those cookies r light and perfect with tea... ur blog rocks... this is a unique combo, yellow pepper and rajma.. must have been tasty.

Katie said...

I just can't get over those colors!

PG said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments. I hope to start blogging again soon.