Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Caramelised pear and apple ginger cake

This is one of those "one of its kind" cakes. Dellllllicious! The contrasts of spicy fresh ginger and sweet apples blend so well togehter in this cake and give it a distinct flavour. All of us enjoyed it thoroughly last Saturday. Chonu, my hubby, enjoyed it to the full - you won't believe, but I actually got many compliments from him, my "not so easy to please with food" hubby, for this - now, that makes it all the more special! :)
Now I need to credit two people for it. One is Sophie , the chief Blogger at The Back Burner
who found this recipe and posted it at The Back Burner and the other, of course, Lisa of Spicy Icecream who posted the recipe at her blog.
I admit, the pictures don't look as beautiful as the the cake tasted, but I did not follow the recipe as exactly and used my own measurements partly. Since hubby prefers apples to pears and also because I didn't have enough pears - I'm sure with pears it would taste great - I added two apples to the two pears I had. But, I knew it would make as good a cake. So, I didn't even see it as a compromise. And it surely wasn't one. It tasted great! Although, I am a bit at loss as to why it rose so much in the middle and not evenly. It happed in the later half of baking in the oven for sure. So, it was not eay to hold it all together while taking it out when it was still hot. I served it with whipped cream to which I had added some whole cane sugar which I had also used in the cake instead of brown sugar and which gave the cake and the whipped cream a wondeful flavour.


The original recipe is here.

Ingredients:

Topping
  • 75g soft butter
  • 1/2 cup whole cane sugar
  • 2 medium pears, peeled, cored and sliced thin, lengthwise
  • 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin, lengthwise
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (I had none at home)
Cake batter
  • 1 cup oil (like sunflower)
  • 3 eggs
  • ¾ cup whole cane sugar
  • 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
  • 2/3 cup golden syrup (it is similar to molasses)
  • 1 ½ cups buttermilk (I used yoghurt)
  • 3 cups plain flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
Method:
  • Prepare topping by adding the cut apples and pears with whole cane sugar tothe melted butter in the pan. Pour into the spring form lined with baking paper at the base.
  • Preheat oven to 140°C (convection; regular: 160°C). In the mean time prepare the batter by beating together first the wet ingredients and them mixing the dry ingredients separately before adding to the batter and beating further.
  • Pour batter over the cake tin with the fruit topping at the base.
  • Bake for 1 h 45 min or until a skewer or knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
  • Let it cool down for 10 minutes and then turn upside down, holding the plate to be used on it - do this very very carefully!
  • Serve with whiped cream or as it is.
Note: I found the salt to be a bit too much for my taste and hubby agreed on that point. So, I plan to add only half the quantity next time.
Although I would love to know what role salt plays in a cake, have heard of its use in cakes a number of times.

6 comments:

Aparna Inguva said...

PG I so wish I was your neighbor, of the mooching kind i.e. This is so awesome. Baked apple tastes yummy dont it? and ginger combo sounds yummier.
-A

PG said...

Ha ha ha! Aparna, believe me these could have been my lines. When I see all the yummy recipes you make. :)

Sunshinemom said...

Just my kind of cake too after some egg substitution;)

~nm said...

It looks so tempting!

Aparna said...

Pears and apples with ginger sound great.
Salt, as far as I know, is usually added to balance out the sweetness of the cake, and also enhance the others flavours in it.

PG said...

Thanks Aparna! For the info. I was also thinking on those lines, but now I know it.