This is one very summery, lemony recipe which I always make at least once during summers. As it is a not so heavy and a very quick recipe. And if you are a beginner, then this is just the recipe for you, as I feel that one can make it blindfolded.
And the best thing about it that, despite it being so easy, it is so very delicious that I always have people asking for its recipe and lots of praises too. I think the cake deserves it too.
It is very rare that I do not modify any recipe to my taste or needs when I make it, even if it only a little bit or the first time of making it. But this is so perfect that there isn't much that I can do to change or improve it. It is just the most delicious and easiest recipe of a cake that I have ever got hold of.
So, Elke, thank you so much for this wonderful recipe!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
Temperature: 180°C convection oven (200°C electric)
3 cups all puorpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil, a neutral one
1 cup sparkling water (or lemonade or plain water is as good)
1 envelop baking powder (I think it is around 20 g or 3 tsps)
1 envelop vanilla sugar or vanilla extract (2 tsp)
1 lemon, organic or untreated, to use the zest of lemon and the juice
Sugar Icing / Frosting:
1 lemon, organic or untreated
250 g (1 packet) Icing sugar (Confectioner's sugar)
- Preheat oven to 180°C convection (200°C electric)
- Mix flour with the baking powder in a bowl
- Add sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla extract and the sparkling water to it and beat into a smooth and runny batter with a hand or a stand mixer
- Pour the batter on a baking try or a large jelly-roll pan and bake in the oven for 25 minutes and checking with a knife and, if required, baking further
- In the mean time remove the lemon zest and keep aside (make sure to wash the lemons in hot water before using)
- Prepare the sugar icing/ frosting with the juice of one lemon and 250 g icing sugar
- Add the juice slowly and carefully, spoon by spoon, mixing in between to make not-too-thin frosting and keep aside
- Once the cake is done, take it out and sprinkle with the juice of one lemon
- While the cake is still warm, pour the frosting on the cake and spread it very slowly and gently with a spatula on the cake (as the lemon juice makes the surface soft)
- Sprinkle the zest over the icing on the cake and cut into appropriate sized pieces ans serve warm or cold.
So, as they would say in German: Guten Appetit!