Thursday, May 29, 2008

Basic cake recipe

I got a recipe froma friend of mine which is very easy to memorise. It helped me a lot in my baking efforts. After having made a couple of trials with it I was confident enough to make varaitions which lead me to make appropriate changes and am now surprised at the easiness of baking. Of course, simple baking as it follows.
I will first write down the recipe I got fom my friend. It is called:

The Recipe of 2's

Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 200g (7 oz) sugar
  • 200g (7 oz) butter
  • 1 pk. vanilla sugar
  • 200g (7 oz) flour
  • 1 packet of baking powder (as per the manufacturer, the amount needed for 500g of flour)
  • fruits of choice as topping
My proportions for the ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 200g (7 oz) sugar
  • 150 or 200g (7 oz) butter, both the amounts are possible
  • 1 pk. vanilla sugar
  • 250g (8 1/2 oz) flour
  • 3tsp baking powder
  • fruits of choice as topping
Method:
  • Mix the baking powder with the flour in a bowl.
  • beat the rest of the ingredients together with an electric hand mixer in another bowl.
  • Add the flour slowly to it and beat further to make the batter light and fluffy.
  • spread it with a spatula on a greased round tin (Ø 26cm) or a square tin of similar size.
  • Cover with fruits
  • Put fruits as per desire and amount on top of the cake. Like berries or apples (peeled, cored and sliced). Apples make a lovely combination with walnuts. Or just add some nuts and raisins or dry fruits to the batter. Roasting the nuts sligtly before adding to the cake gives a good flavour.
Preparation time: 30-35 minutes
Temp.: 200°C (390°F) electric oven / 180°C (355°F) convection oven
Baking time: 45 min.

Yesterday I baked a cake for my hubby, which he wanted to take to the office. An apple cake. But like so often I forgot to take a picture. But there will be a next time.

Tips:

  • use 200g (7 oz) flour and 50 g (3 1/2 tbsp) cornflour or any other edible starch
  • add some teaspoons of milk if the batter is too stiff. It should be easy to spread with a spatula.
  • I also like to add 50g of powdered or finely chopped almonds (or any other nuts) when I have them at home.
  • serve cake with whipped cream. To whip add some sugar to the cream and a few drops of vanilla flavour(optional) and lemon peel (buy readymade, if not sure about pesticides).

No comments: