Monday, July 14, 2008

Mini Mango Almond Cake and Muffins

This sunday, I had a nice big mango lying in my fruit basket on my kitchen window which looked quite ripe now, just waiting to be eaten. Initially I had thought of combining it with strawberries and offering it as a dessert along with quarkspeise (a German curd-preparation made with the addition of sugar and whippedcream and eaten with fruits), but then Rishab and Chonu got to eat the strawberries as a late morning snack already.
So, I decided upon a mango muffin recipe as an afternoon dessert. This is the first time that I used a mango in muffins. And I must say, it was so tasty that it did not even need any sugar or chocolate icing on top. It tasted just soooooo good!Since when I make muffins, my son is also always there to "help" me, as he always insists upon it to which i cannot say no! And now that he recently got his own baking set of baking tins, cookie cutters and a rolling pin. He always wants to use whatever he can. So, we put a part of the muffin dough into a small cake tin too. Which looked so beautiful that I actually decided upon sending it to this months Monthy mingle: Mango Mania taking place at Meeta's blog. I don't think we will win the prize after seeing such tempting recipes there, but it is worth the mingle!
This is the same recipe as I have given in my basic muffin recipe . But I will write it down once again here.

Preparation time: 25 minutes
Baking time: 25- 30 minutes

Dry Ingredients:
250 g all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
50 -60 g (1 1/2 -2 oz) chopped almonds

Wet Ingredients:
1 egg
200 g yoghurt
75 ml sunflower oil
125 g sugar
1 envelop buorbon vanilla sugar (or use a teaspoon of vanilla extract)
200 g (1 large) mango, diced; keep a few pieces aside for decoration


Method:
  • Mix the dry ingredients evenly
  • In a large bowl stir, except for the mango, the wet ingredients together for short
  • Add the mango and the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix everything for short with a spoon, just to make everything wet
  • DO NOT STIR anymore!
  • Quickly spoon the batter into the muffin tins and bake at 165 °C in convection oven (175 °C electric) for 25-30 minutes
  • Check with a knife after 25 minutes if they need to be baked further or not.
  • Serve warm
  • If desired, you can always serve these with some whipped cream or chocolate sauce and a few pieces of fresh mango
So, this is my entry to Meeta's Monthy Mingle: Mango Mania . A very spontaneous decision, as I think my son and I have done a good job at making these yummy muffins. And don't they look beautiful! :)

4 comments:

A&N said...

This is the first time I'm seeing mangoes in muffins too! And yes, they look beautiful and ready to be attacked :)
Is there any way of making this eggless?

PG said...

A&N, have a look at the basic muffin recipe I have given before. Yes, you can leave the one egg out. Theoretically one should be replacing the egg with some sunbstitute like apple puree, but I have also taken just a tablespoon of yoghurt for that for my muffins as I did not have any eggs at home. And they turned out as good.

Shreya said...

Mangoes in muffins - lovely variation:-) they look so good!

PG said...

Thanks! We enjoyed them a lot, as we ate the mango after a long time.