Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Tortelloni Sauté


I had once made tortelloni with white asperagus and a white sauce made from the water from asparagus, which was apprecitaed by Chonu, my hubby, a lot (If you have been reading my emails regularly, you can imagine in what ecstacy I was to have a hubby who actually appreciates my food! :P).
The most important ingredient in that case was the asparagus, which I cooked with the skin and which gave the good flavour. I had prepared that dish from what I could find in the fridge and combine together. And it was a good experiece, as until now I had only prepared asparagus the classical way: pure, with hollandaise sauce and warm clarified butter along with boiled potatoes, which is surely very enjoyable.

Now, I only know of recipes where you eat tortellini either cooked in a clear broth or with some white sauce like bechamel. We were in no mood for either of the things, I had to think up of something different. I did have this picture in my mind of how it was supposed to look at the end, but not so clearly to know exactly what I wanted in the ingredients, and that at the end I will actually get the result I wanted. So, I was quite happy at the end, as this is not always the case, when I just work with a picture or flavour in my mind.
All of us enjoyed this evening meal a lot. The alpine cheese has a very picant and a special flavour, which I think is not appreciated by every one as much. But, it suited perfectly to this one in our opinion.
So, here it goes, the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 packet (400 g) fresh spinach-ricotta Tortlloni from the chiller cabinet
1/2 or 1 small Broccoli, cut into small florets
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic, crushed or chopped finely
1" piece of ginger (2-3 cm), grated or chopped finely
1 tbsp sesame seeds with skin
2-3 dried tomatoes, chopped
4 sprigs thyme leaves, chopped
crimini mushrooms, quartered or halved into chunks, depending on size
1 tsp capers in brine
2 tbsp green pitted olives in oil
1 medium Tomato, diced
1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves, chopped
80-100 g thick slice of Alpine cheese (Bergkäse), grated
(optionally parmesan or any other hard cheese)

Method:
  • Boil 2 1/2 liters water with 1/2 tsp salt in a pot and add the tortellini and cook till "al dente".
  • When the tortellini is about half done, add broccoli as well and cook till these are still green and firm.
  • In a sauté pan fry the onions, garlic and sesame seeds in little olive oil on high heat and add ginger and dried tomatoes. Fry for a minute on medium heat while stirring.
  • Add the mushrooms, add a little more oil if required, and fry further on high heat.
  • Add the chopped thyme leaves. Keep stirring in between.
  • Reduce heat. Add capers and the cooked broccoli and tortellini. Stir carefully on medium heat.
  • Add olives and chopped tomatoes to it, stir and switch off the heat after about a minute.
  • Add the grated cheese and chopped oregano.
  • Garnish with a small sprig of oregano while serving on the plate.
Tip: the choice of cheese surely decides the final taste of this dish, as I have used a large amount of it here.

2 comments:

A&N said...

Congrats on the Danish braid!! Ours is in the pipeline too :) These daring bakers are so inspiring no?
And I loved the colorful Tortelloni too :) A main course and a dessert. What more can one ask for :)?

PG said...

A&N, isn't this danish braid to irresistable? Do try it. The dough is really good.