Friday, December 12, 2008

A quickfix Coconut Chutney or Dip, and the dietary mineral Calcium


Need makes you inventive. I think there exist a couple of sayings on this too. So, yesterday I made Cheelas (North Indian savoury pancakes) -a spontaneous idea again! So, I required a real quick fix chutney to accompany it. I had the sweet varieties in stock in the fridge, but I wanted something spicy and salty. Sunny boy didn't really require it, it was more meant for me and hubby. I made it at the very last moment infact. I basically opened the fridge and saw these preserved chillis and just got going, tasted it and was totally surprised with the wonderful taste. The cheela recipes will follow soon- a gluten free version. *grin* :)

Here is the Coconut Chutney:

Ingredients:
1 cup dessicated coconut
150 g plain yoghurt (5 oz or a little more than 1/2 cup)
3 red or green chillies / hot peppers preserved in brine or vinegar* ( reduce amount to taste)
salt to taste
1 pinch sugar
1 tbsp chopped coriander or fresh mint (opional)- I didn't have then handy

Method:
Puree eveyrthing in a deep bowl with a hand stick blender for a few minutes. Serve in a bowl!

*Optinally: add some vinegar to chopped fresh chillies and grind with the coconut.

We were both tremendously pleased and missed nothing after eating it along with our wonderfully tasting cheelas.

Calcium
An unrelated topic to this post is some information I have collected in these posts at Healthy and Tasty on dietary calcium:
How much calcium does a child need?
What affects calcium absorption?
I'm posting these here to have a link to them here at this blog as well.

7 comments:

anudivya said...

We make this too... but minus the yogurt.. I just adore it.

Curry Leaf said...

Coconut-yoghurt chutney.Yummy
Waiting for "besan ke cheele" - gluten free right? :D

PG said...

Anudivya, would love to know your version of recipe.

Curry leaf, just wait and see. Maybe .... :)

Trupti said...

I make this too. Next time add some ginger it will taste better.

Ivy said...

This sounds very interesting and delicious.

Priya said...

Delicious chutney...quite interesting , never thought of adding yoghurt..

Sunshinemom said...

I too make this and add dahi if the chutney gets too hot. Never added vinegar though. I love cheelas:)