Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pak Choi with shrimps


The moment I saw these lovely baby Pak Chois (restaurant style Chinese Bok Choi) at Rasa Malaysia, I knew I had to make them and really fast. It was so tempting to see them. And I was lucky as hubby agreed to get them as he works quite near a chinese shop, but still needs an opportunity, depending upon the work pressure, to be able to go there. And of course I did improvise a little bit, after having tried a couple of recipes from there, like this one, and having got some ideas from other recipes.
I think this is such a simple but flavourful dish. I can always make hubby happy with such chinese recipes.
Some information on the Nutrient value of Pak Choi.

Pak Choi (Bok Choy) with Shrimps

Inspired by the recipe of restaurant style Chinese Bok Choi at Rasa Malaysia

Ingredients:
200 -250 g frozen cold water shrimps, thawed and drained
5 -6 Pak choi, washed to remove gritt and cut into stripes
2 medim garlic cloves, peeled and chopped finely
1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated or chopped finely
1 large onion, peeled, halved and cut into thin slices
oil- sunflower and/ or sesame oil
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1-2 tbsp soya sauce
dash of black pepper or red chilli powder
1 heaped tsp sesame seeds
salt to taste (if required)

Method:
  • heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, add sesame seeds till they splutter and
  • add the shrimps and stir fry with some soya sauce or salt till done, take out and keep warm
  • add 1 tbsp oil and add garlic, onion and ginger and fry
  • add pak choi and add the remaining spices, oyster sauce and soya sauce
  • once almost done, put back the shrimps and mix
  • adjust salt to taste - use soya sauce or oyster sauce
  • switch off heat and let simmer covered on the stove top
  • serve warm with steamed rice
We loved it. Hubby, me and my sunny boy. It satiated our tummies, but also our minds to the full. Good and healthy food can work wonders, I feel. So, did this one.

Another thing I want to mention about these shrimps :
I used cold water Northern shrimps (Atlantic Canada Northern shrimps : P. borealis) the only and the best alternative to the MSC labeled Oregon pink shrimps (Pandalus jordani) which I had found here until then, when I made this dish. But a few days ago, to my utter disbeliefe I saw this packet of MSC certified frozen oregon pink shrimps at my regular grocery store and my happiness knew no bounds. I had searched quite long for these, just these ones and was quite happy.
Here is a link to the infomation available from Seafood Watch at Montery Bay Aquarium website about shrimps. Another detailed information given there about the nothern shrimps is also here (pdf). One more good source of information from year 2007 is here (pdf).

And here is a photo of the packet of MSC certified frozen Oregon pink shrimps which I bought and will be hopefully posting some recipes of soon (just can't resist showing it off! ):


I end up paying more for all these MSC certified fishes, but I feel it is worth all the effort. I just cannot bring myself to buying anthing else in any case. But, since all three of us love fish and I consider it healthy and important for my son to eat some regularly, I do buy fish. It does reduce our choice of the fishes we can buy, but I can live with that easily.

Now I'm sending this recipe over to a wonderful event Seven Fishes Feast - A Food blog Event which I saw at Maryann's Finding La Dolche Vita and is being cohosted by her friend Joe at Italyville . There are already some mouth watering recipes posted, yum yum!


Other related posts:

Potato Red Cabbage Casserole with Pan fried Fish

4 comments:

Maryann said...

Thanks for joining our 7 fishes feast,PG! :)

joe@italyville said...

Looks great! thanks for joining us.

Priya said...

Wow thats a lovely dish...delicious,prefect entry for the event PG...

anudivya said...

I like Bok Choys a lot , but shrimp... hmm thatz a whole 'nother story.