Saturday, December 13, 2008

Rice Buckwheat Pancakes



Sunny boy got a contagious infection from the kindergarten, which isn't that bad actually. He was a little down on the first day, or maybe on two days and I noticed it a day later when the rashes started to show up in the morning. Since I had to keep him at home for the next few days and keep him busy too, this whirlwind that he is, one minute you think he is playing peacefully and the next moment - you just have to forget him for only a minute - and he is again up to some mischief.
So, one day I thought of making some pancakes for lunch for both of us. This time for a change I decided not to use maple syrup, which is usually always at the table when we make pancakes. I made a simple plum compote instead from the plums lazing around in my fruit basket and served the pancakes with the compote and a ready made apple sauce. I also put a tiny dollop of margarine (free of trans fatty acids and fortified with vitamins A, D and E - butter contains them naturally). A good dose of vitamin D in these cold months is very much required by the body to utilise calcium properly at his growing age.

Rice Buckwheat Pancake


Ingredients:

Pancake batter
8-12 tbsp brown rice flour
8-12 tbsp whole buckwheat flour
2 tsp whole cane sugar ( powdered jaggery)
1 pinch salt
1 egg, beaten lightly
1/4 tsp powdered cinnamon or cardamom, as per choice (optional)- I left it out
100 ml (or more) rice milk (calcium fortified organic) to make a thin batter
2 tbsp rapeseed oil

Compote
5 plums, washed, seeds removed and cut into 6 pieces each
2 tbsp sugar
a few tbsp water
a small piece of cinnamon- optional - I left it out


Method:
  • cook all the ingredients for the compote for about 15 to 25 minutes on medium low heat
  • mix all ingredients except for the oil for the pancake batter thoroughly to make a thin batter
  • heat two tbsp of oil in a fry pan on medium heat
  • add a ladle of batter in the pan and slowly spread it with circular movement to make a pancake
  • cover with a lid with holes to allow steam to escape
  • when the upper side is no more fluid (take about 30 -45 seconds) flip the sides
  • bake the other side for another minute and remove from pan and keep warm
  • make the following rounds without adding any oil
  • serve warm with maple syrup, honey, apple sauce or any fruit compote
By the way, these are gluten free and dairy free pancakes! :)

Sunny boy loved it. He ate- you won't believe it- but he really ate five of these. OK, two of the pancakes were small in size, but still, I was afraid that he might get a stomach upset, but nothing happened, and then, as expected, he ate very little in the evening. And I think it is OK, for every now and then. As you can see these were only very very healthy with whole meal flours and only mildly sweet just like the apple sauce and the compote. And I didn't use any more oil for the pancakes. And I made about 10 pancakes and I could have easily made five more without adding any oil to the pan. So, except for the first pancake, these were also low on fat.

13 comments:

Pam said...

What a tasty and creative lunch - I am sure your son was so happy. The compote is an excellent idea.

Soma said...

Those looks like pretty crepes! I prefer fruit compote to syrup anytime..

Soma said...

For some reason I could not post comment in ur previous post. I make this chutney without using yogurt tho'. I use roasted chana dal & quite some amount of cilantro. My MIL makes it the way u did.
I like both.

Curry Leaf said...

Sorry about your son.Hope he is ok by now.I amm also sorry I tght gluten free cheela meant besan ke cheele.This sounds very healthy.I am yet to see buckwheat here.

Cynthia said...

I hope the little one feels better soon.

Uma said...

delicious pancakes.

PG said...

Thank you all for your good wishes! Rishab is feeling quite fine. And making me go crazy at home :D
Curry lef, you weren't completely wrong, the cheelas are yet to be posted. I haven't managed to write the post completely, so it is taking longer. And besan cheeela are gluten free, isn't it?

Priya said...

pancakes looks delicious...healthy one..glad to know that ur son is doing well now...

Trupti said...

pancakes looks very delicious. Hope ur little one is doing good.

G.Pavani said...

ooh...rice pancakes mouthwatering me here..looking yummy..

Aparna said...

These pancakes look and sound delightful. I just got to know that buckwheat flour could be available here, so I'm going to look for it next trip to town.:)

I also liked the fruit compote over the syrup option.

Sunshinemom said...

Looks great with the nice looking compote!

Lalima said...

Preeti, the pancakes look so tasty and even more so because they r so healthy too! Love to Rishab, love Lalima