Saturday, September 6, 2008

cashews and chicken!


Isn't that a lovely combination. I saw this recipe of cahew chicken once at the wonderful blog Rasa Malaysia and the very sight of it told me that I had to try it. It took me long until I finally made it, but all the time, I had been looking for an opportunity for it. And I got it that weekend.
But, before I could prepare this chicken, I had to get the ingredients, for the recipe, as this is a style of cooking which is very new to me and I didn't want to take any risks of spoiling something so nice.
I have tried to stay as true to the recipe as possible, except for a few small things like replacing white pepper with chilli powder, as I don't like white pepper, and adding more soya sauce, and also adding more vegetables, as I was not going to serve any other sides to it except for rice.


Ingredients:

400 g Chicken, washed, pat dried and cut into small chunks or stripes
1 large carrot, peeled, and julliened
1 large green bellpepper, cut into small squares
3 spring onions/ scallions, chopped into rings
1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2 cm thick rings
ginger, julliened
3/4 cup cashew nuts
cooking oil (I used sunflower oil)

1st marinade:
1 tsp soda

2nd marinade: 1 heaped tsp cornstarch
1 tsp rice wine

Sauce:

1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soyasauce
3 dashes of white pepper powder (I used a dash of chilli powder)
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp rice wine
1/4 tsp sesame oil
5 tablespoons of water

Method:

  • wash and clean the chicken, pat dry and cut into small pieces
  • marinate with baking soda for 15-20 minutes
  • wash away the soda thoroughly from the chicken, pat dry and marinate with cornstarch and rice wine for another 15-20 minutes
  • mix the ingredients of the sauce together in a bowl and set aside
  • cut the vegetables
  • fry chicken in a wok or sauté pan on high heat stirrring in between, reduce heat to medium and fry till it gets cooked on the outside, but still not cooked through. Take out and set aside.
  • Fry the ginger and julliened carrots in some oil and stir fry till they are more than half done
  • then add the spring onions and green bell peppers and stir fry further till they have become slightly tender, but are still crisp and green. Take out and set aside
  • Add the cashew nuts and roast for a minute on medium heat, take out and sert aside
  • stir fry the zucchini rings till they get tender, but still have a crispy texture
  • mix everything back into the wok along with the sauce and cook for two minutes, uncovered
  • serve warm with warm steamed rice.
The first time I read the recipe I was surprised at the use of soda, as I had never heard of it before, but I wanted to try it out. And I was amazed that it held its promise. The chicken was different. Much softer and tender than otherwise. This is a wonderful recipe, one from so many others I plan to try out from Rasa malaysia.

Hubby and Rishab, both look forward to my chicken dishes. Hubby is especially fond of chinese food, the reason why I have been wanting to try out this recipe. We all enjoyed it thoroughly. But, the best part of it was the wows I heard from hubby without my having to ask him, how it tasted. Yes, he was amazed and impressed. So, I think this experiment was a big success. :)

Update:
I have already made this recipe once again and hubby still wants to eat it again! I also think that this is one great recipe which all chicken lovers would enjoy.

This is my entry to Srilekha's monthy Event "Chicken" for the month of September, which has been now extended upto the month of Oktober.

2 comments:

Sagari said...

delecious cashew chicken ,yummmmmmm

SriLekha said...

check out my blog as i have updated the deadline for the chicken event

i request you to post the links of your recipes that u have contributed for the event or wish to contribute in future, in the comment section of this particular event announcement page.

the link for this particular event announcement page is
http://srishkitchen.blogspot.c.....theme.html

so u please post a comment in this link about the url of your recipes

i highly appreciate your cooperation and participation in the event!