Friday, September 19, 2008

Arugula Tomato Raita (stirred yoghurt with arugula and tomatoes)


...with home grown tomatoes!

Now this is such a simple dish that you might wonder why I'm posting it here.
Well, for two reasons. First of all it contains my very first ever home grown pesticide-free organically manured garden tomatoes. Secondly, because I just love this creation of mine, however simple it may be.
Now, if you have eaten arugula, then you know what I'm talking about. If not, these are a wonderful variety of salad leaves with a wonderfully pleasant pungent and spicy flavour, similar, but only similar, to that of radish beans (beans of the radish plants), if you have eaten them.
Although since my visit to Italy last year I know arugola is not always arugola. I knew about the difference between the varieties available in the US, which were much milder in taste than those available here in Germany, but after having eaten those wildly growing spicy and pungent arugola leaves and flowers in a village near Bari, I was so overwhelmed by its rich flavours that I needed time to get adjusted to these varieties available in the markets back here which almost tasted bland in comparison to those I ate in Italy last September.
And that brings me back to the second reason of my writing this post. These arugola leaves I bought this time tasted the nearest to those from Italy and since I love this green salad I had just chopped some leaves into the yoghurt and added one tomato from my garden into my Raita and I had a delicious side to the paranthas in no time.

Preparation time: 10 minutes
serves 2-4 people

Ingredients:

300 -450 g probiotic Yoghurt
1/2 tsp ground roasted cumin seeds
1/4 tsp black salt (available in Indian and Asian shops)
1/4 tsp table salt (regular salt), or to taste
1 pinch chilli powder (or even more; optional)
1 nice bunch of Arugola leaves, chopped coarsely into large pieces
1 large tomato, chopped


Method:
  • Stir yoghurt throughly along with the salt and roasted cumin
  • just before serving, add the chopped leaves and tomatoes and stir gently
  • eat it plain, as it is, or served with other Indian savourys like paranthas or rotis or even rice (check previous post for it too!)

5 comments:

Sunshinemom said...

You're right there - I have not come across them here! But I do love radish leaves in dal:)

Divya said...

We get tons of Arugula here, it has this slightly peppery taste which I think I slowly began to like. I use them in salads though.

Monika said...

simple recpie... i love radish leaves... use them is radish sabzi, paranthas and dal... but i havent come across Arugula here... any idea whats it called in hindi?

Aparna Inguva said...

Never tried Arugula PG... the photo looks amazing!... And did I tell you I totally envy your Italiy vacations man...
A post card and an award for you at
http://threemangoes.blogspot.com/2008/09/peruvian-food-note-of-appreciation-and.html

PG said...

Monika, I think, one does not get arugola in India, at least not generally. Maybe in some fancy shops where you get vegertables meant more for consumption by foreigners like Europeans. In New Delhi the chances would be higher.
As for radish leaves they don't exactly taste spicy, though i love them too.
I have forgiotten the hindi name for the beans of radishes which my grandfahter used to grow at home and we also bought sometimes at the market.