Monday, September 29, 2008

Wholewheat bread, another trial


...and it was the most successful one I have had so far. The bread was soft inside, just the way it should be, but the crust was a bit too hard. But, this was surely one time where the results, partly expected, were so good that you actually almost enjoyed the crust in the thinly sliced bread sandwitches I made, or when eaten with my home made jams. Yes, it was so thoroughly enjoyable.
It was partly expected, because I used equal amount of type 550 to the whole wheat unlike in my previous efforts, like here, any many others which I haven't posted here (waiting for the prefection to take place...!) where the amount of wholegrain flour or the type number was much higher.
But, still this was surely not bad at all. I just have to figure out how to prevent the crust from getting too hard. I think I baked it for too long. Or was it the temperature?....Or did I brush too much of milk on it?.... does that make the dough hard?....... No idea. But, next time I'll be more watchfull of the time I keep the bread in the oven. And the temperature too!
But, as I said, we enjoyed eating a healthy bread whose pleasure was added by the wonderful garnishings of jams, cheeses and once the corn-potato pattie -sandwitch which I made. The Rucola (Arugula in English) leaves and the red onion (not so matter-of-factly available here, but in season now) in the corn-potato patties sandwitch made it taste superb! Now, I'm sorry for not posting a picture of these, these were gobbled up so fast that I just didn't get theopportunity to take pictures. Infact, I was happy that at least I could take one picture with my home made jams, whose recipes I'll be posting soon.
Now, this recipe is actually a mixture of different recipes from my cookbook. Though I'm beginning to feel that I need to buy a good book on bread baking.
Ingredients:

Starter:
100 ml leuke warm water
1 packet (1 cube; 42 g) fresh yeast
1 tsp sugar

400 g whole wheat flour
400 g Type 550 flour
1 cup shredded flax seeds
2 tbsp salt (amount can also be reduced to make it not too salty)

400-650 ml leuke warm water
milk to brush the surface of bread once in the baking pan

Method:
  • crumble the yeast in a bowl and mix with the sugar and add the water to it to mix gently and keep asie for 15 minutes.
  • mix together the flours and flax in a deep bowl
  • make a well and add the starter in the middle and adding small quantities of the remaining water knead to make a soft dough. Be careful not to addd too much especially at the end.
  • Let it proof, covered, in a warm place (* see note below) untill it has almost become double the size - about 2 hours.
  • Punch it down after that and divide into two portions and put one in a bread pan and with another just form a round or oval loaf on the baking try and let both the loafs proof (rise) again for 45 minutes
  • Preheat oven to 220 °C (I did it with convection, therefore at 200°C), and bake the breads: the loaf in the pan for 50 minutes and the one on the tray for 35 to 40 minutes
I used my bread pan and one small pan which I bought for my son, as I prepared it with him together, and with the rest I made a round loaf. So, now you know why the bread slices on top look so small, as they are the ones from my son's pan. They looked really cute! And I finished off my breakfast with these cute and heavely slices of bread with two different mango pineapple jams (recipe will follow soon!)

*Note: For those living in cold climates, to let the dough rise at a "warm place "I usually switch on the oven at 50 °C, the minimum temperature possible, and switch it off after 10 minutes or so, before I put the dough inside. Cover the dough in the bowl with a kitchen towel.

Now this recipe goes to the WBB event: Grains in my Breakfast , an event initiated by Nandita of Saffron Trail and being hosted this month by Aparna at My Diverse Kitchen.

6 comments:

aparna said...

Looks yummy.

Divya said...

I am always looking to make Whole wheat bread in different ways. I have made at least a dozen by now... I love yours. Will add it to my list.

Usha said...

This is my first visit to your blog,you have a wonderful space here..I have been wanting to try my hand at baking wheat bread and yours looks great...have duly bookmarked :)

Ivy said...

Your bread looks perfect.

Sunshinemom said...

Its a very tasty looking bread - somehow just a simple slice of bread and jam can do wonders to my appetite!

Aparna said...

Its not easy to get a very soft texture in a wholewheat bread, so that's a great one you have baked.
I think the temperature and time should be ok. Maybe it is the 550 flour that contributed to the extra hard crust?
Of course, I'm just guessing here.:)
Thanks for sending this to WBB. Have included this in the round-up. Sorry.