Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sesame Bread rolls




I felt like baking some brötchen after a long time for the weekend breakfast.
The last time they had not turned out so good. I had made them for the first time then,when I had tired a mixture of rye and wheat flours. They were too hard. Don't know what went wrong, but I had experimented with the recipe and made changes. Yes, just can't help it!
This time I tried another recipe which I felt should work better and wanted to be more careful with the changes.


Preparation time: 2 hours
Baking time: 25 minutes
Temp.: 220°C (195 °C Convection)

Ingredients:

300 g whole wheat flour
100 g wheat flour 1050
100 g whole rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 packet (1 cube; 42 g) fresh yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/4 - 3/8 l Leukewarm water
35 g sesame seeds, roasted
20-30 g sesame seeds for outer covering on the buns

Method:

  • Mix together all the flours, the rolled oats and salt in a bowl.
  • Make a weell in the middle and add a little leukewarm water, sugar and crumbled yeat cube into it. Let stay for a 15 mniutes at a warm place (See remark below).
  • Roast the sesame seeds and add to the flour in the bowl and knead it to bind the dough and keep aside at a warm place for an hour to rise, untill the volume of dough doubles.
  • Knead the dough again, make 12 balls and roll it in a plate of sesame seeds or press them on each ball.
  • Place on a baking try lined with baking paper or sprinkled with flour. Let it stay at a warm place for 15 minutes to rise before baking in the oven at 220°C (195° convection) for 25 minutes.
  • Serve warm or store in an airtight container after they have cooled down.
And we did enjoy them, although I need to make some changes next time. Like I would let them rise for longer. The combination was good, but I don't know if I shoud take less whole wheat to make it rise more. As from what I know whole wheat makes it more stiff. I wonder how the bakerys make the whole wheat doughs rise, which are not hard at all. I guess, I need to do some web search on that.
Note:
For those living in cold climates, to let the dough rise at a "warm place "I usually switch on the oven at 50 °C, the minimum temperature possible, and switch it off after 10 minutes or so, before I put the dough inside. Cover the dough in the bowl with a kitchen towel.

Added to answer a query:
The wheat flour type numbers: I had been wanting to write something about the different wheat flour types indicated as numbers. Infact, the reason I delayed publishing the post was that I wanted to put this info here first, but then forgot it. The link is here. And that wheat flour type 1050 is not whole wheat but the best flour next to whole wheat and helps make the bread or brötchen (buns) rise better. Usually the whole wheat breads are not made exclusively of whole wheat but contain between 45 to 70% of whole wheat flour and the rest is other flours.
So, wheat flour 1050 represents the ash mass or mineral content of 1050 g in 100 kg burned wheat flour. The ash mass of whole wheat flour is 1600.

2 comments:

A&N said...

Hi, first time visitor! I've been apprehensive about baking using just whole wheat. But after looking at this recipe, I'll certainly give it a try :)
what is whole wheat flour 1050?
A.

PG said...

Hi A&N! Nice to have you here. Hope i coulds answer your query now. I have not only used whole wheat here, as I have explained in the addition I have made. I totally forgot to mention about the flour type 1050.
Here is one li nk in wiki which explains everything:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour#Flour_type_numbers