Monday, June 9, 2008

Herb scones


We had these scones for breakfast this sunday along with scrambled eggs. I still have this lovely aroma of the fresh hebs in my mind. It is a wonderful recipe from my old cookbook, it being one of the first cookbooks with a lot of baking recipes. And I had made these scones before, about 5 or 6 years ago. While going through the book, I found it again. This is the original recipe with my modified version at the end. So, here it goes:


Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
Oven temp: 225 ° C (convection oven: 200 °C)

Ingredients:

6 tbsp mixed fresh herbs, washed and chopped finely (like oregano, lemon balm, cress, other wild herbs)
200 g flour
50 g wheatflakes
1 tsp baking powder
1 level tsp salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
50 g butter
5 tbsp sour cream (10 % fat)
1 egg
butter for the baking tray

My eggless recipe:
6 tbsp herbs - oregano, lemon balm and mint (all from my garden), washed and chopped finely
200 g wheatflour
50 g oatflakes, soft
1 tsp baking powder
1 level tsp salt
1 pinch chilli powder
50 g butter, cut into small cubes
3 level tsp sourcream (10 % fat)
3 level tsp sourcream / schmand (24 % fat)
4 tbsp milk
butter for the baking try


Method:
  • wash and finely chop the herbs.
  • Preheat oven to 225 °C (200°C). Put butter on the baking tray.
  • Mix flour, oatflakes, salt, pepper and baking powder thoroughly.
  • put small cubes of butter over it.
  • add both the sour creams and the herbs.
  • Knead the dough and roll out 2 cm thick (1/2 ") on a flat surface with the help of some flour.
  • Cut out 12 circles and put on the baking tray. OR:
  • make 12 balls and press them flat with the help of some oil on the hands.
  • I skipped this step: whisk the egg a little bit and brush the scones with it.
  • Bake them in the oven for 15 minutes.
  • Instead of the eggs I used: After about a minute, put some milk over the scones with a brush.
  • Serve warm with chutneys, or sauces or just fresh cheese.

2 comments:

~nm said...

Ummm...they look so tempting!!

Aparna Inguva said...

Hey PG,
Scones look yummy. Thanks for the recipe!. The last time I made scones, I could use them to kill conk somebody out unconscious. Not good.. Armed with tis recipe I hslal attempt again. Responded to tag , tagged you back