Sunday, June 1, 2008

Pineapple Cake



I made this cake together with my son on my birthday. It was a friday, so he was at home and we just wanted to have some fun, so we thought of making a cake togehter, which he also enjoys a lot.
Unfortunately, when I cut the pineapple, I found that half of it was already too ripe- it showed dark greyish yellow transluscent areas in the lower half. It tasted very good otherwise and didn't show any signs of fungal infection at all. So, we used the rest of the pineapple half. It had been lying since more than 4 days in my kitchen. maybe I should have stored it in the fridge, but somehow I find it too bulky for that.
Anyways, I had a tin of pineapple at home, so I did not worry. It is one of the things which you would always find in stock in my pantry!

The recipe of the cake was basically the basic cake recipe I have.


Preparation time: 30-35 min.
Baking time: 45 min.
Temp.: 200°C (390°F) electric oven / 180°C (355°F) convection oven

My proportions for the ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 150 (5 oz) sugar
  • 150 g (5 oz) butter
  • 1 pk. vanilla sugar
  • 250 g (8 1/2 oz) flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into round slices or a tin of pineapple slices
Method:
  • Mix the baking powder with the flour in a bowl.
  • beat the eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla sugar together with an electric hand mixer in another bowl.
  • Add the flour to it and beat further to make the batter light and fluffy.
  • Put baking paper at the bottom of a round baking tin 26 cm), grease it and the sides with butter.
  • Put a layer of the round pineapple slices over it. Let the excess juice drip off from the slices in a colander before putting it in the cake.
  • spread the batter carefully with a spatula on the slices
  • If you wish, put some more pinaapple slices on top and press them down a bit.
  • Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
  • Serve with 250 g (9 oz) whipped cream, flavoured with vanilla sugar and swetened with 2 tbsp of sugar.

2 comments:

~nm said...

What an awesome looking cake.

Anurag is complaining that you didn't make such yummy cakes when you came here!!

PG said...

Believe me, I myself wanted to bake things together with you / for you. But there was hardly any time. Why don't you come over here and I'll bake for you every day if you want. :)