Monday, October 20, 2008

Chocolate muffins

I feel like I have made them hundreds of times. Whenever we have friends over, which usually means Rishab's friends rather than ours, I practically toss everything together and put them in the oven to bake ready while I finish up the rest of things before we expect our guests. Most of the time it is last minute preparations. Muffins are so easy to make, require small amounts of everything, can even be made without eggs, easily, and are ready so fast, in about 40 to 50 minutes if you are quick and use a simple recipe like this one.
Chocolate muffins, we love them and they are my son's favorites. Well... now that I think of it, it isn't that easy to decide, but he never says no to chocolate in any form! Maybe also because he does not get it so often. I made them quite spontaneously and found all the ingredients I needed for that, most important of it: chocolate of course!

Chocolate Muffins
(Basic recipe)

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 25- 30 minutes

Dry Ingredients:
250 g (10 oz) all purpose flour
3 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
50 -60 g (1 1/2 -2 oz) dessicated coconut, grated (optional)

Filling:
12 large or 24 smaller pieces of any type of chocolate like chocolate chips, 6 bountys - halved, chocolate filled with whole hazelnuts, or with raisins and nuts or with almonds, or even chocolate with biscuits

Wet Ingredients:
3 tbsp apple puree/ yoghurt (instead of 1 egg)
200 g yoghurt
75 ml sunflower oil
125 g sugar
1 envelop Bourbon vanilla sugar (or use a teaspoon of vanilla extract)

Glaze:
1 packet (200 g ) chocolate couverture/icing, melted in a water bath or double boiler on low medium heat

Method:
  • Mix the dry ingredients evenly in a bowl
  • add the chocolate pieces now or later, just before pouring the batter into the muffin tin
  • In a large bowl stir the wet ingredients together for short
  • Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix everything for short with a spoon, just to make everything wet
  • DO NOT STIR anymore!
  • Quickly spoon the batter into the muffin tins, if the chocolate is not already inside, add the pieces into each of the muffin moulds
  • And bake at 165 °C in convection oven (175 °C electric) for 25-30 minutes
  • Check with a knife after 25 minutes if they need to be baked further or not.
  • In the meantime melt the chocolate couverture/icing and dip the muffins into it by turning them upside down and
  • place them on a plate to cool down or serve warm
  • If desired, you can always serve these with some whipped cream or chocolate sauce instead of the couverture

I made these muffins with bounty chocolates. I just halved them and tucked each piece into each muffin pan for the 6 muffins I made. I used to make 12 muffins, but then I realised that you end up collecting too many and eating them all away is doing no good to our healths, so I started making them with half the quantity and it works out great! And at the end you are left with no muffins anymore either...... to my relief!
It is wonderful to bite into these chocolaty
Can you get bored of these muffins? Nooooo...........!! Not of course! Not us.

I'm sending this over to the Event Food in colours: Brown, this months colour, at Sunshinemom's Tongueticklers.


And now about one more thing which is special. I never realised what was happening until I saw this article in The Daily Telegraph. I was contacted by someone to give my views to some questions three days before she was supposed to publish her article. I somehow felt like answering the questionnaire, but due to time stress wrote in quick short answers, but to the point. And then the whole thing was forgotten. And then I got an email from the author sending me this link. I was a pleasantly surprised. Hubby dear, who does not care so much about my blogging, when he heard about it on phone while I had called him up for some other matters, even he was happy and said "and you are telling this to me so casually!" I was totally taken aback by his response and it actually made me feel good. Well, food blogging is in trend, so they are being talked about in the media. But, it was fun and somewhat exciting too to see my name and that of my blog in the newspapers!

I'm sending these muffin to Madhuram's Egg replacement event: pureed fruits taking place between 18th November and 31 December 2008.

16 comments:

slk said...

Looks really tempting and yummy. Congrats on the article. I read it few days back.

sunshinemom said...

I have heard of apple puree used to replace fat but haven't used it so far. The eggless chocolate muffins I made felt a little dry, but I will try yours as soon as I get back home. Am on a short break! Thanks for sending it to FIC. Congrats!

Ivy said...

Congratulations on the article PG. Why would you want to stay anonymous, you should be proud of what you are doing.

Those muffins look delicious.

Jayashree said...

Congrats on the mention in the Telegraph. The muffins look sinfully delicious.

PG said...

Thank you all for the wishes!

Ivy, as I already said I did not give it so much thought and you are right, there is no reason not to show my identity, but it was all too hectic at that time and I have practically just staretd blogging, you know and was abit hesitant. But, now I would probably do it differently. Too late!

PG said...

Sunshinemom, oil is the best ingredient to make the muffins soft and juicy. Do tell me how they turned out, once you make them.

anudivya said...

Loved reading your little article, congratulations!

Priya said...

COngrats PG...Wat a creativity..muffins without egg simply superb..

PG said...

thanks Priya! Though it was not my idea, i have it from my book on muffins and through hit and trial too.:)

Madhuram said...

Lovely muffins PG. That too eggless, my kind of a dessert. If you don't know already, applesauce can also be substituted for the fat (oil/butter) in a recipe. But it's advisable to use 50% fat and 50% apple puree.

You can send this to the event later, when "Applesauce" is the Egg substitute.

Meanwhile, it would be nice if you could send a entry for flax seed meal.

PG said...

wow! Thanks Madhuram! I didn't know about it, though I have left out the oil a number of times but with eggs in muffind sometimes , though by mistake! :D

DEESHA said...

it looks simply delicious ..

Núria said...

Congratulations!!! It's great to see your blog work rewarded :D.
Those chocolate muffins look heavenly... my daughter would love them!

Usha said...

The muffins look delicious...the write up in the Daily Telegraph was very nice...first time here you have a beautiful blog...

Jude said...

Looks perfect.. So decadent and chocolatey.

PG said...

Nuria, it surely is encouraging! thank you!

Usha, thank you so much!

Jude,I'm happy you liked it.