Saturday, October 18, 2008

Home grown tomatoes and my first ever Tomato sauce!

It was a very spontaneous decision to buy three tomato plantlets whe I saw them in the market. I was amazed at how well they grew in my kitchen garden. I also learnt for the first time a few basic things about tomatoes, like, for example, that one needs to pinch off the side shoots just when they start to show up. If they have grown a bit longer then just cut them up and throw them down on the ground where the tomato is growing, apparently they like it. And for the first time I got many tomatoes, but usualy one or two at a time and also with long waitings in between. But then, my happiness knew no bounds when I for the first time, after waiting for so long, got enough tomatoes to be able to make something like a chutney or a sauce.
So, I started searching for some recipes and came across a number of good ones. But then I settled for this one at Aayi's recipes as this seemed to me to be the closest to how I imagined my chutney with a number of ingredients I also wished to have in my preparation.

Tomato sauce

Based on the recipe of Tomato pickle at Shilpa's Aayis Recipes

Ingredients:

1 kg tomatoes, washed and chopped finely (all from my kitchen garden!)
1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
1 tsp Sesame seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
2 large garlic cloves, grated or crushed
1 inch piece of ginger, grated
1 tsp tamarind paste (also works as an acidifier)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (I left it out)
5 g citiric acid (1packet of Dr. Oetker)-neccessary to make the sauce acidic enough
1 tsp whole cane sugar (jaggery)
3 1/2 tbsp gelly sugar (contains pectin in addition)
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 pinch red chilli powder (or to taste)


Method:
  • Roast the 3 seeds in rapeseed oil in a deep saucepan till they smell good on medium heat
  • add the tomatoes, stir and cook for further 5 minutes
  • add the remaining ingredients, mix and cook for another 5 minutes covered
  • Remove the saucepan from heat and puree with a hand blender
  • Cook further for another 10 minutes covered*
  • store in boiled jars with twist off lids (check the link)
  • And let them cool down before placing them in the fridge
I used the leftover gelly sugar I had from my previous experiments I'll be talking about soon to make the sauce a bit thicker, as my tomatoes were very watery. Maybe had I used a larege flat frypan or sauté pan it would have thickened faster, but I think if you want to preserve something for long it is better to use a deeper saucepan and the lid should be kept covered , keeping the spoon with a long handle in the pan all th time, so there is some space for the steam to escape as wll.

*NOTE:
Cook for atleast 10 minutes or longer, till you feel that it can be preserved for long in that state.
Do read the guide lines of canning in my link before trying to preserve yorself, if you are a beginner.

And now coming to the results. I made a sauce , at least a tomato sauce like this for the first time. And all i can think of is, "why did I wait sooooo long to try it?!". It is such a wonderful taste I have never tasted before in a tomato sauce. I love this sauce and it will surely go into my tried and tasted and passed recipes which are then preserved in my precious folder with such special recipes. Thank you Shilpa for this wonderful experience which I could have with my home grown tomatoes!

This post goes to this month's MBP event started by Coffee and being hosted this month by Rachel of Tangerine's Kitchen.

And of course I will send this one to Grow your own at Andrea's Recipes, being hosted this time by Andrea herself, the initiator of this wonderful event.

9 comments:

anudivya said...

Those tomatoes look so plump and healthy! Someone's got a green thumb!

Andrea's Recipes (Grow Your Own) said...

Your tomatoes look beautiful! Congratulations on your success with growing them for the first time. I like the combination of spices in your sauce, it sounds wonderful.

Rachel said...

gorgeous tomatoes and thanks for the lovely entry!

Priya said...

Wow love the fresh tomatoes, they looks superb..yummy tomato sauce too..

Monika said...

wow!!! i have some tomatoes growing in my backyard too... will check out this recipe....

Mona said...

The tomato sauce looks delicious and voluminous. Nice clicks.

Dibs said...

Nice spices for the tomato sauce!

Ivy said...

How lucky you are to have a garden to grow your own tomatoes. The sauce sounds very good.

Ruchika said...

Yummy, the tomatoes look beautiful as well.