Friday, October 3, 2008

Oregano Omelet

Are you puzzled or startled? Or may be even shriek at the very thought of oregano in Omelet?
No...No...No! Don't worry...go ahead and read. Believe me. It is one beautiful, humble but tasty recipe.
It was weekend. Of course it was, as that is the only time I prepare eggs for breakfast, or eat eggs for that matter. All three of us got up and I saw these pink flowers of oregano blooming in my kitchen garden, looking so beautiful. Since I knew that these flowers are edible, my first thought was " why not make an omelet with these flowers?!" I asked Rishab, if he wanted eat an omelet with oregano flowers and he was so happy to hear that "Yaaaa....I want to eat it. Yaaa! with oregano flowers!...."I went and cut a few sprigs, before they all wilt and cannot be used anymore.
Servings: 3-4 servings
Preparation: 10 minutes
Baking: 3-5 minutes

Ingredients:

4 eggs
2 tbsp milk
salt to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper from the mill, or to taste
1 tbsp butter
8-10 fresh oregano leaves
6-8 fresh oregano flowers (bunches)

Method:
  • Beat the eggs with the milk and salt till light and frothy. Ideally it should become quite stiff
  • heat a fry pan on medium heat and add butter, spread evenly on the base and the sides by tipping it and swirling it
  • place the leaves and flowers evenly on the surface
  • add the egg froth over it carefully with a spoon or gently letting the froth to flow down while moving the and sprinkle with pepper
  • reduce heat a little, add a little more butter, if required from the sides to prevent it from sticking to the pan, and cover the pan with a lid until the omelet is almost not fluid anymore
  • turn the omelet carefully but quickly with a large spatula and switch off the heat and leave the pan on the stove for another minute before serving with bread rolls or toast
Added later: I forgot to mention about how it tasted. This was a wonderful taste, very new to me in an omelet and still was the right instinct to use it an omelet. Even my son enjoyed eating it. It is a very mild taste, nothing to be compared with dried oregano. I love this taste of fresh oregano in food and anybody who likes fresh oregano would surely love it in an omelet too.

This is my entry to the event 101 Recipes #1: Omelets I found just a couple of days back at the wonderful blog of Sangeeth.
Right now there are about 33 recipes and if nobody else has already submitted, mine is the 34th, so those still interested, go ahead and post your favorite omelet recipes.

8 comments:

anudivya said...

I use a lot of oregano in my omlette and love it. So I can second you on that taste!

Sangeeth said...

wow! oregano in omelet is new to me..i have never tried it!thanks for this lovely recipe!

Ivy said...

I've never used fresh oregano as I do not have a garden and even so I would never have thought to eat the blossoms. Oh, I would really like to try this if only I had some fresh oregano. It sounds fantastic. I'll check out the event and if I still have time I have a couple of omelettes ready to post.

Priya said...

Awesome PG..Love those oregano...sure will give a try..

~nm said...

Looks so tempting!! But if only we can get fresh oregano here. I do get fresh basil but not sure about oregano.

PG said...

NM, have you ever tried Fenugreek omelet, with fresh leaves?
I don't get them here, or I would try that instead. Make it a bit spicy with Indian spices to your taste, like turmeric and coriander powder and some chopped onion and use rapeseed oil or mustard oil. Yummy..... the very thought of it makes my mouth water. :)

Monika said...

I use dry oregano a lot... in tastes yum in cheese omelette's...

PG said...

Anudivya,
I used it for the very first time. And it was wonderful.
Ivy,
you really don't need a garden for an oregano plant. You can really easily grow it in a nice big pot.It is quite a no-hassels type of plant. I would think one can grow it in Greece too.
Priya, do try it.
Monika, that sounds like a great combination.