Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Birthday, the Day of German Unity and Apple Cheese Pie!

It was Friday, the 3rd of Oktober. It was the Day of German Unity and my sister's birthday. It being a holiday, we had all the reasons to celebrate them - one being an excuse for the other. I always tell my sister, "you see, the whole of Germany is celebrating your birthday!" :D
I wasn't sure of what cake to bake, except that it had to be something with quark, as this time I had bought for the first time lactose free quark for my son, as he is on a lactose free diet. So, it had to be a cheese cake, as we call them here. It is nothing to be compared with the American recipes, as these cakes are called cheese cake because of the quark present in them.
But, then I found that I didn't have any canned fruits at home to use for the cake and none of the fruits I had in the fruit basket were appropriate for a cake, except for the apples. "Apples in a cheese cake.?!" I thought. I had come upon a recipe in one book, but not satisfied I decided to search further in the internet and came upon a lovely recipe - a very tempting one with pictures at Chefkoch.de. It was a time consuming recipe, but the efforts paid off at the end, to my relief. As, this time I wasn't sure of the results.

Apple Cheese Pie
Recipe from Chefkoch.de

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Resting time (includes further preparation time): 1 hour
Baking time: 55-60 minutes
Baking temperature: 170°C (150°C convection)
For 1 Springform (Ø 26 cm)

Ingredients:

Crust:
250 g all purpose flour (I used type 405)
125 g butter
1 pinch salt
30 g sugar
1 egg (I used an egg white in addition)

500 g apples (4-5 apples), peeled, cored and sliced
juice of 1 lemon

Cheese layer:
500 g quark (low fat)- I used lactose free quark
2 tbsp oil
200 g sugar
30 g cornstarch (or any edible starch)
zest of 1 lemon
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites

Top layer (custard):
2 egg yolks
200 ml heavy cream (I used lactose free cream)
50 g sugar
1 envelop vanilla sugar
1/2 tbsp cornstarch (or any edible starch)


Method:
  • Quickly prepare a pie crust by kneading all the ingredients together
  • Place in bowl covered with a clingfilm and refrigerate for 1 hour
  • In the mean time wash a lemon under hot water, zest it and keep the zest aside
  • Sqeeze out the lemon juice, peel, core and cut the apples, sprinckle lemon juice over the slices
  • Beat all the ingredients of the cheese layer except for the egg whites to make a fluffy quark cream
  • beat the egg whites in a deep bowl to make it stiff*(1) and gently fold it in(2) the quark cream to make the cheese layer
  • beat all the ingredients of the top layer together
  • grease the bottom and sides of the springform
  • Roll out the crust and place over it, followed by the cheese layer, then the apples and then the custard (top layer)
  • Bake in the preheated oven at 170 °C (150°C convection) for 55 - 60 minutes(3)
*NOTE:
  1. It is very important that no traces of egg yolk or fats are found in the bowl or on the egg beater while beating the egg whites. They say that the eggwhites should not fall out on turning the bowl upside down
  2. To fold in the egg white, don't use an egg beater, but use a spatula for slow downwards and upwards rotating movelments
  3. I baked the cake at 160°C convection for 45 minutes and kept it in ther oven after swithing it off for another 10 minutes
We all enjoyed eating this delicious cake. It got late by the time I finished it and Rishab just about managed to eat it before he could brush his teeth and go to bed. I purposefully left out the ground or chopped nuts, which I usually like to add to cake crust or batter and also the raisins, as this time both hubby and sonny boy unanimously agreed on not wanting any raisins! I also felt that this cake could do without them. Rich as it already was with quite a number of eggs I am not used to. It was also my luck that I had just bought some eggs and had a good stock on eggs to be able to make this cake. If this cake did not have so many eggs and wasn't so time consuming I would readily make it again. But, now I would ove to try it out with a new ingredient I have discovered at Madhuram's Egglesscooking.com as an egg replacement.
But, this recipe, as it is, is a wonderful recipe and is worth all the efforts put in it. And it is versatile enough that one can easily replace the fruits with anything else of choice. If I were to grade it, it would get an A+ from me and my family.
And I'm sending this over to wonderful Ivy's wonderful Sweet Pies event at Kopiaste.

10 comments:

Ivy said...

P.G. this sound great. It's so original. I never had a cheesecake with apples or an apple pie with cheese but it is really worth the trouble. Thank you for participating with this beautiful recipe.

anudivya said...

PG I love this... and what I like even more is the way you say "Oktober"! :)

DK said...

This sounds absolutely amazing! I am so going to try this. :)

Priya said...

Apple n Cheese!! wat a combo..yummy pie..

PG said...

Ivy, I have also never amade this combination before. Infact I had to work hard on convincing my self to give it a try. But, it turned out better than all my expectations.
Anudivya, do try it, it is a lovely recipe. As for "Oktober", it is only a small mistake, I'm sometimes correcting a lot of words (from German spellings into English) or even phrases. :D
These words are most of the time so similar that you don't realise it. At least I don't.

Thanks Priya!

PG said...

divya, do try it. it is really a wonderful taste.

PG said...

oops! I meant dk, sorry!

Yasmeen said...

Lucky sis,to have a b'day as national holiday:). Pie with quark layering looks decadent,sweet entry for pie contest:)

PG said...

thanks Yasmeen!
BTW, my sister does not live here, but we celebrate it here for her. :)

Asha said...

looks so yummy! hmm..
btw, do you have any microwave cake recipes? i don't have an oven :(