Monday, October 6, 2008

Going green...


....NO! not with envy!:)
But, with broccoli for an Event. These pictures were mainly inspired by this event started by the wonderful Sunshinemom at her blog Tongueticklers . Unfortunately I didn't manage to post them in time.
But, then I don't want it going waste. Delicious as it was.
It is a very simple recipe, but my favorite way of eating broccoli: when it is still crunchy, stirfried with lots of freshly ground coriander seeds and rape seed oil.

Ingredients:

1 broccoli , washed and cut into small florets
1 large red onion, sliced into thick pieces
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 inch ginger, peeled and julliened finely
2 small tomatoes, sliced into wedges (I used two from my kitchen garden)
2 tbsp rape seeds oil
1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
2 tbsp corinader seeds, ground
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli powder, or to taste (I used a little lesser for my sonny boy!)
salt to taste

Method:
  • heat oil on medium heat in a wok or saute pan, add all the spices, stir once - the spices will throw out bubbles and cumin should splutter and add turmeric, garlic and ginger, stir once again shortly and add onion and keep stirring
  • soon after the onion starts to turn golden brown add the broccoli and stir again.
  • reduce heat, add a few tbsp water and salt and cover for about five minutes
  • remove lid and stir, if required one more tbsp of water let cook uncovered stirring in between for another few minutes
  • add tomatoes about a couple of minutes before the broccoli is done and has turned soft.
  • eat it with some basmati rice, or some daal (lentils) of your liking
NOTE:
  • cook broccoli to your desired crunchiness or softness. It can also be blanched before stir frying - thast helps it to turn softer from inside as well than stir frying. The crunchier, the healthier, and the rest depends on your liking.
  • before adding the spices in the first step, make sure the oil has turned hot. To test this, add one or two cumin seeds into it, they should immediately turn whitish because of throwing out steam bubbles in the oil and maybe make some noise too, if that is the case don't wait and have everything ready to add the spices to prevent the oil from getting too hot and preventing the spices to burn.
  • keep the vegetables ready before adding the spices to the oil. add them as soon as the spices have been stirred once and have spluttred (if that is the case, depending upon the vegetables), to prevent the spices from burning.
Although the broccoli turned out to be crunchier than expected (for hubby, for e.g., :I) Rishab enjoyed them, just like me. I find it hard to get the broccoli right and I try to keep it crunchier than making it too mushy, as that is something which none of us like. So, if you like it, keep it uncovered throughout, to prevent it from loosing its fresh green colour, which happens really fast.
But, on the whole it was just wonderful and we had it with arhar (toor) daal, my favorite daal and steaming hot basmati rice for dinner.

10 comments:

anudivya said...

I did indeed think you were going green with envy! Just kidding!
Nice dish.

Sangeeth said...

A nice start and a nice recipe!

Mallory Elise said...

thank you for the compliment! i love food photography---but i'm obsessed with the written word, will be a writer someday, i will i will! ---writer of food that is. hehe.

i love the banner on your page--it's classic, but yet makes me want to stay, ya know? Germany! i have only been to munich and cologne, aber ich kanne ein bischen deutsch sprechen!

PG said...

Sangeeth and Anudivya,
when i started writing the header the phrase came to my mind and thought of including it for fun! :D
Good that you liked it.
Mallory,
Thank you for the compliment!
and, I'm impressed! :)
and wish you all the best with your endeavour!

DEESHA said...

thatz a yummy dish ...

Red Chillies said...

Alright alright, even with that picture you cannot make me eat broccolli. Somehow I cannot get myself to make a subzi of broccoli.

Ivy said...

The recipe sounds just perfect. Catchy title. I thought you joined Greenpeace :-)

PG said...

Hah hah hah ! Can't help but laugh at both your comments, Rc and Ivy...
for different reasons though.
Rc, believe me, broccoli, if cooked properly can taste very good and nothing can beat the taste it gets through indfian spices. I would love to see your version of it.
Ivy, I'm kind of green that way too. But, haven't thought of joining greenpeace for that. I think it is high time we all do our part for our only planet, isn't it? :)

Sunshinemom said...

I feel so honored that you cooked it for the event - I too do such things and then time constraints do not allow me to post etc....! I love broccoli and so does the family - this preparation should go well with us - the pictures are getting better and better by the day! Isn't photography a side addiction with blogging:)

PG said...

sunshinemom, I'm so honoured too with your compliment. Thank you!
Yes, it surely is. I'm learning, you know, but time constraints don't aways allow for good shots. But, I try to give my best.